Solve exp(x)=x^4 with a Slide Rule

• Thread starter TheFerruccio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slide
In summary, BobG mentioned being able to solve a particular problem: exp(x)=x^4 really quickly using a slide rule. He emphasized how easy it is but I've searched all around the Internet, having used a Versalog slide rule for years, and while I can solve exp(x)=x^3 iteratively using the cube scale, I do not know the quick trick to solving for one power higher. Maybe it is obvious and I am missing it. Could anyone help me out here? You need to have the loglog scales on your slide rule.
TheFerruccio
I would have replied to the older thread but it seems that is not possible, so I will have to post my question here.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/slide-rule.245855/

@BobG mentioned being able to solve a particular problem:

exp(x)=x^4

really quickly using a slide rule. He emphasized how easy it is but I've searched all around the Internet, having used a Versalog slide rule for years, and while I can solve exp(x)=x^3 iteratively using the cube scale, I do not know the quick trick to solving for one power higher.

Maybe it is obvious and I am missing it. Could anyone help me out here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take the natural log of both sides:

e^x=x^4
x = 4 ln x

Now I'll bet you can find the solution(s).

He also might be referring to using both indices to find the answer.

Say you want to find the sqrt of 2 then youknow there's an x such that x * x = 2 so on the slide rule C and D scales you slide them back and forth until the number under the 1 index is the same as the number above the 2 that number will be the sqrt of 2. I did that once to compute Ph values but using the loglog scales and the C scale.

jedishrfu said:
He also might be referring to using both indices to find the answer.

Say you want to find the sqrt of 2 then youknow there's an x such that x * x = 2 so on the slide rule C and D scales you slide them back and forth until the number under the 1 index is the same as the number above the 2 that number will be the sqrt of 2. I did that once to compute Ph values but using the loglog scales and the C scale.
Exactly. Set up the scales so the answer to any number on the C scale divided by 4 appears on the D scale. And the natural log of any number on the log log scales also appears on the D scale. Somewhere, the number on the C scale is the same as the number on the log log scale.

It does help to sketch the curves for each to figure out how many solutions to expect, but finding the solutions once you know how many you're looking for is easy.

BobG said:
Take the natural log of both sides:

e^x=x^4
x = 4 ln x

Now I'll bet you can find the solution(s).

So that was the first thing I did when posed with this problem but there is probably a mental block that I am missing that is completely obvious here. Even with the explanations I still don't understand what is being done. I understand the case of finding sqrt(x) using just the C and D scales but something that might be obvious is preventing be from taking that mental leap to the case with this problem.[edit]

Oh, dang. It definitely was a mental block. It seems I had the right idea that it was an iterative approach. I ended up getting something like 8.6 and 1.43. By sliding CF to be 4x D, I needed to find the values on CF that matched all the values on the LL scale. So I matched 8.6 on the LL3 scale and 1.43 on the LL2 scale. Lots of flipping over since it's a Versalog (1972, one of the last models). Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

1. What is a slide rule?

A slide rule is a mechanical analog device used for calculation and has been used by scientists and engineers before the invention of electronic calculators. It consists of two rulers, one sliding on top of the other, with logarithmic scales that enable multiplication, division, and other mathematical operations.

2. How do I use a slide rule to solve exp(x)=x^4?

First, set the scale of the slide rule to correspond to the base of the logarithm. In this case, exp(x) is equivalent to e^x, so set the scale to correspond to the natural logarithm (ln). Then, align the left-hand edge of the slide with the value of x on the scale. Next, move the slide until the value of x^4 appears on the scale. The number that lines up with the right-hand edge of the slide is the solution to the equation.

3. Can I use a slide rule to solve other equations?

Yes, a slide rule can be used to solve a wide range of equations, including exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric equations. However, it may not be as accurate or efficient as using a calculator or other methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using a slide rule?

Yes, a slide rule is limited to certain ranges of numbers and cannot handle very large or very small numbers. It also requires manual alignment and may not be as precise as modern electronic calculators.

5. Why use a slide rule when there are more advanced tools available?

While slide rules may seem outdated, they are still useful for understanding the principles of mathematical operations and can be a fun and challenging tool for problem-solving. They are also useful in situations where electronic devices are not available or reliable.