Slide Rules for Engineering Students - NIU Freshman

• Thread starter bunburryist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slide
In summary, the conversation is about a person's son who is studying engineering and wants a slide rule for his birthday. The person is wondering about the specific brand or model that would be most relevant to his field. They also mention that few people use slide rules anymore, but their son might be interested in one. The person then shares their favorite brand, K&E, and provides a link to more information about it. They also mention a website and a person in BC where slide rules can be purchased. They advise educating oneself before buying and mention the most prevalent brand in the US, Pickett.
bunburryist
My son is in his Freshman year at NIU to studying engineering and said he would like a slide rule for his birthday. Is there a particular brand or model, or are there particular features that would be most relevant to his field? I know few people actually use them any more, but knowing my son - he might! Any help would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bob, is there anywhere to buy slide rules ?
Without trawling junk stores for antique ones, or the paper toys from the discovery store

E-Bay is a great place and there is also a really nice guy in BC that I have bought a couple from. I highly recommend him:

http://sphere.bc.ca/test/sruniverse.html

Just make sure you educate yourself before buying if you go to e-bay. Just remember there are a lot of different kinds of slide rules that cover a lot of different areas of interest.

In the US the most prevalent brand was Pickett. You can get brand new ones that look really nice or go with a used one. They made some really nice metal ones.

I give BobG about a nano-second before he comes in here and gives you a full report.

1. What is a slide rule and how does it work?

A slide rule is a mechanical device used for performing mathematical calculations. It consists of two logarithmic scales that slide against each other to perform multiplication, division, and other mathematical operations. Numbers are read off the scales and combined to get the final result.

2. Why are slide rules important for engineering students?

Slide rules were widely used by engineers before the invention of calculators and computers. They are still used in some fields, such as aerospace engineering, because they can perform calculations quickly and accurately. Learning to use a slide rule can also help students understand the principles of logarithms and mathematical operations.

3. Are slide rules still relevant in today's technology-driven world?

While slide rules are not as commonly used as they once were, they still have practical applications in certain fields. They are also valuable teaching tools for understanding mathematical concepts. However, for most everyday calculations, calculators and computers are more efficient and accurate.

4. What are the advantages of using a slide rule over a calculator?

Slide rules are portable, do not require batteries or electricity, and are less prone to errors from typing in the wrong numbers. They also have a larger range of calculations compared to some basic calculators. Additionally, using a slide rule can help develop mental math skills and improve understanding of mathematical concepts.

5. Can anyone learn to use a slide rule?

Yes, anyone can learn to use a slide rule with practice and patience. While it may seem daunting at first, with proper instruction and practice, anyone can become proficient in using a slide rule. Many engineering students find that learning to use a slide rule enhances their problem-solving skills and makes them more efficient in their calculations.