Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slide rule question

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    My son is in his Freshman year at NIU to studying engineering and said he would like a slide rule for his birthday. Is there a particular brand or model, or are there particular features that would be most relevant to his field? I know few people actually use them any more, but knowing my son - he might! Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2009 #2
  4. Nov 3, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Bob, is there anywhere to buy slide rules ?
    Without trawling junk stores for antique ones, or the paper toys from the discovery store

5. Nov 4, 2009 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

E-Bay is a great place and there is also a really nice guy in BC that I have bought a couple from. I highly recommend him:

http://sphere.bc.ca/test/sruniverse.html

Just make sure you educate yourself before buying if you go to e-bay. Just remember there are a lot of different kinds of slide rules that cover a lot of different areas of interest.

In the US the most prevalent brand was Pickett. You can get brand new ones that look really nice or go with a used one. They made some really nice metal ones.

I give BobG about a nano-second before he comes in here and gives you a full report.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook