Solve Rod Slider Energy Problem: Find Velocities of Collar B

In summary, we are looking at a system where a mass of 4 kg is attached to a spring with a constant of 1500 N/m and an undeformed length of 0.4 m. The system is set in motion with a radius of 0.2 m and a tangential velocity of 6 m/s. We are neglecting the mass of the rod and the effect of friction. Using the conservation of energy, we can find the radial and tangential components of the velocity when the radius is 0.5 m. However, if we want to use the conservation of angular momentum, we need to have knowledge about moment of inertia, which has not been introduced in our class. Another option is to use the
stinlin

Homework Statement

Collar B has a mass of 4 kg and is attached to a spring of constant 1500 N/m and of undeformed length 0.4 m. The system is set in motion with r = 0.2 m, v_theta = 6 m/s, and v_r = 0. Neglecting the mass of the rod and the effect of friction, determine the radial and transverse components of the velocity of the collar when r = 0.5 m.

2. Relevant theories

Conservation of energy - kinetic and potential energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I used conservation of energy :

V_spring_initial = V_spring_final + T_slider_final

x_initial_spring = abs(0.2-0.4)
x_final_spring = abs(0.5-0.4)

I solved for v_r and got 3.35 m/s, which is NOT the right answer.

If I figure out how to solve for v_r, I'm still in the situation where I don't really know how to solve for v_theta. I'm thinking I can determine the force due to the spring and set that equal to m*a_normal, solve for v_theta there (because v^2 = (v_tangential)^2 = (v_theta)^2).

Can I get some help? Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

• 1393.GIF
    1393.GIF
    6.5 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
Use conservation of angular momentum to find the velocity in the tangential direction as a function of the radius.

Use a net force equation to find the velocity in the radial direction as a function of the radius. (You can consider it as an "inertial" frame with a fictional force, if you want.)

We haven't done angular momentum in class yet. While I do know it, he wants us to try and stick to the concepts we know.

Is there any more thoughts on this one or no??

If one looks at just the SHM motion of the slider its energy stays constant throughout the motion:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}Ax^2[/tex]

which enables one to calculate the radial velocity at any position.

Looking at the bigger picture the total mechanical energy (which will stay
constant since the slider is subject to a conservative force) of the slider should also include its rotational kinetic energy:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}I\omega ^2[/tex]

, where its rotational velocity is determined by the tangential velocity.

Last edited:
But the concept of moment of inertia hasn't been formally introduced in our class yet, so we can't really use that equation.

How did you get the answer for Vr? What principle did you use? I was going to suggest you use the work-energy principle.

stinlin said:
But the concept of moment of inertia hasn't been formally introduced in our class yet, so we can't really use that equation.

Ok. You can then still use the fact that T + V will stay constant. The speed that you get will be the real speed of the slider, that is the tangential and radial speed combined or just v.

1. How do I solve a rod slider energy problem?

To solve a rod slider energy problem, you need to use the principle of conservation of energy. This means that the initial energy of the system must equal the final energy of the system. You will need to set up an energy equation and use it to solve for the velocity of the collar.

2. What is the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or transformed. In other words, the total energy of a closed system remains constant over time.

3. What information do I need to solve a rod slider energy problem?

In order to solve a rod slider energy problem, you will need to know the mass and length of the rod, the mass of the collar, the initial height of the collar, and any other relevant information such as the coefficient of friction or the angle of the rod.

4. What are the steps to solve a rod slider energy problem?

The steps to solve a rod slider energy problem are as follows: 1) Draw a diagram of the system and label all known values. 2) Set up an energy equation using the principle of conservation of energy. 3) Solve the equation for the velocity of the collar. 4) Check your answer for reasonableness and accuracy.

5. Can I use the same method to solve any rod slider energy problem?

Yes, the same method can be used to solve any rod slider energy problem as long as the principle of conservation of energy is applicable. However, the specific values and variables used in the equation may vary depending on the given problem.