Solve for Smallest Theta for Slider to Reach A

In summary, the problem involves finding the smallest value for theta in order for a slider attached to a spring to pass through point D and reach point A on a vertical circle. The equations used include s = r*theta, 1/2 k * x^2, mgh, and 1/2 mv^2. The initial and final energy equations are set up, but the solution cannot be found due to incorrect calculations. A diagram is needed to accurately check the equations.
stinlin

Homework Statement

k = 40 N/m
mass of slider = 200 g
EDIT r = 0.3 m
Hoop is VERTICAL, undeformed length of the spring is when spring is in position AB, slider NOT attached to spring.

Find smallest value for theta such that the slider will pass through D and reach A (see picture).

Homework Equations

s = r*theta
1/2 k * x^2
mgh
1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the initial and final energy equations but couldn't figure out how to solve them. =P

Denoting @ as theta:

mgr(1-cos(@)) + 1/2*k(r@)^2 = mg*2r

After plugging in numbers and rearranging, I found:

mgcos(@) + 0.0018277@^2 = 1.962

I don't know how to solve for @ in that equation. Also, in the spring term of 1/2kx^2, I replaced x by r@ (s = r@) and multiplied @ by pi/180 to convert to radians for that term.

Attachments

• spring.GIF
    spring.GIF
    3 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Until you post a clearar diagram, I doubt anyone will be able to entirely check your equations.

That's the diagram in my book really...It's a vertical circle with a slider and a spring attached to point A (slider NOT attached to spring)

And my equation is wrong I discovered, but have NO clue what the right one is.

1. What is the significance of finding the smallest theta for a slider to reach point A?

Finding the smallest theta for a slider to reach point A is important in determining the minimum angle at which the slider can be positioned to reach its target. This can be useful in designing more efficient and accurate mechanisms in various fields such as robotics and engineering.

2. How is the smallest theta for a slider to reach point A calculated?

The smallest theta for a slider to reach point A is typically calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions can be used to determine the relationship between the angle of the slider and the distance it needs to travel to reach point A.

3. Can the smallest theta for a slider to reach point A be negative?

No, the smallest theta for a slider to reach point A cannot be negative. In most cases, the smallest theta will be a positive angle as the slider needs to be positioned at an angle above 0 degrees to reach point A.

4. How does the weight of the slider affect the smallest theta for it to reach point A?

The weight of the slider can affect the smallest theta for it to reach point A by adding an additional force or resistance that needs to be accounted for in the calculations. A heavier slider may require a larger angle to overcome this added force, while a lighter slider may require a smaller angle.

5. Is there a way to visually represent the smallest theta for a slider to reach point A?

Yes, the smallest theta for a slider to reach point A can be visually represented using a graph or diagram. This can help in understanding the relationship between the angle and the distance the slider needs to travel to reach point A.