Sliding and rolling friction

In summary, the conversation is about asking for help in solving two physics problems, one involving a car and the other involving a wooden crate. The person is specifically looking for step-by-step solutions to be able to solve similar problems in the future.
reinrain
help please I don't know what to do with this problem can someone please tell me how to solve the following problems, i need to know how to solve and get the right answers not just get the right answers.

A force of 1000N is applied to a 1200kg car if the coefficient of the rolling friction is 0.04 what is the cars acceleration?

An 80 lb wooden crate rests on a horizontal floor. if the coefficient of static force is 0.5 how much force is needed to set the crate in motion?

please help! i need the step by step solution so i will be able to solve the future problems...thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
reinrain said:
A force of 1000N is applied to a 1200kg car if the coefficient of the rolling friction is 0.04 what is the cars acceleration?

Hi reinrain,

At PF, we can't just give you the full solution, but we can certainly help you arrive at it.

Start by drawing a free body diagram and put all of the forces on the car.

How does the frictional force relate to the normal force?

Can you formulate an expression for the resultant force on the car using Newton's 2nd Law?

1. What is sliding friction?

Sliding friction is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces slide against each other. This type of friction is caused by microscopic bumps and irregularities on the surfaces, which create resistance and make it difficult for the surfaces to slide smoothly.

2. How is sliding friction different from rolling friction?

Sliding friction is different from rolling friction because it occurs when two surfaces slide against each other, while rolling friction occurs when an object rolls over a surface. Rolling friction is typically lower than sliding friction because the surface of the object is in constant contact with the surface it is rolling on, reducing the amount of resistance.

3. What factors affect sliding and rolling friction?

The factors that affect sliding and rolling friction include the types of surfaces in contact, the weight of the objects, and the surface area of contact. Rougher surfaces and heavier objects will typically have higher friction, while smoother surfaces and lighter objects will have lower friction.

4. How can sliding and rolling friction be reduced?

Sliding and rolling friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. Lubricants create a thin layer between the surfaces, reducing the amount of resistance and allowing for smoother movement. Additionally, using smoother surfaces or reducing the weight of the objects can also help reduce friction.

5. What real-life examples demonstrate the difference between sliding and rolling friction?

One real-life example of sliding friction is a person sliding down a slide at a playground. The rough surface of the slide creates resistance, making it difficult for the person to slide smoothly. An example of rolling friction is a car driving on a road. The wheels of the car are constantly rolling over the smooth surface of the road, reducing the amount of friction and allowing for easier movement.