Calculating Friction Force in Sliding Block Problem

In summary, the friction force on the ramp must be greater than 0.65 Newtons in order for the block to have a velocity of 5.5 meters per second at the bottom of the ramp.
aburich_44
A 38.5g block is sliding at 5.0m/s on the upper surface which is frictionless and 1.00m above the lower frictionless surface. The block slides down a ramp that is at an angle of 18.5 degrees. What must the friction force on the ramp be in order for the block to have a velocity of 5.5m/s at the bottom of the ramp?? I got the equation and an answer, but I am not sure if its right. how can i finish?

Physics news on Phys.org
aburich_44 said:
A 38.5g block is sliding at 5.0m/s on the upper surface which is frictionless and 1.00m above the lower frictionless surface. The block slides down a ramp that is at an angle of 18.5 degrees. What must the friction force on the ramp be in order for the block to have a velocity of 5.5m/s at the bottom of the ramp?? I got the equation and an answer, but I am not sure if its right. how can i finish?

Welcome to PF.

What is your equation and where are you stuck?

i got PEg (gravitational) - w (since the direction of friction force is against the displacement) = kef . And then i have w= fd; so f= (kf-peg) over -d. so that's equal to (1/2mv(final) ^2 - mgh) all over -d. Now I am stuck ?

OK.

How much energy will it gain from Potential Energy? m*g*h now I'm sure you can figure the h.
So how much of that made it to Kinetic energy if the velocity went from 5 to 5.5m/s?

So isn't it that whatever that difference is between energy added from Potential and what actually became Kinetic must have gone into Work from friction?

And over that distance that would be how much Force ...?

And this Force is given by ...?

Which means that μ will need to be ...?

hmm let's see: i did (1/2(0.0385)(5.5)^2 - 0.0385(9.81)(1) ) all over -3.15 (because h =1 and the distance is 1/sin18.5. So my answer is -0.65 ?? is that right?

1. What is the Sliding Block Problem?

The Sliding Block Problem is a classic puzzle in physics that involves a block placed on an inclined plane or other surface. The goal is to determine the forces acting on the block and its subsequent motion.

2. What are the key principles involved in solving the Sliding Block Problem?

The key principles involved in solving the Sliding Block Problem include Newton's laws of motion, forces such as gravity and friction, and the concept of equilibrium and motion.

3. How do you determine the acceleration of the block in the Sliding Block Problem?

To determine the acceleration of the block, you can use the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net force acting on the block, and m is the mass of the block. This allows you to calculate the acceleration based on the forces acting on the block.

4. What are some common variations of the Sliding Block Problem?

Some common variations of the Sliding Block Problem include changing the angle of the inclined plane, adding a second block or mass to the system, and changing the surface of the plane to include friction.

5. How can the Sliding Block Problem be applied in real-world situations?

The Sliding Block Problem can be applied in various real-world situations, such as analyzing the motion of objects on a ramp or a car moving down a hill. It can also be used in engineering and design to determine the forces and motion of different structures and machines.