Solving a 3-Part Frictionless Problem

• Thread starter jasminwater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frictionless
In summary, the block leaves the track at a speed of 9.599 m/s and hits the ground at a speed of 2.7963 m/s.
jasminwater
I am stuck on this 3 part problem and don't really know what to dooo, any help would be greatly appreciated =)

A block (mass 569 grams) starts at rest and slides down a frictionless track except for a small rough area on a horizontal section of the track. It leaves the track horizontally, flies through the air, and subsequently strikes the ground 4.61 m away. THe acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2. A) At what height h above the ground is the block released? B) What is the speed of the block when it leaves the track? C) What is the total speed of the block when it hits the ground?

The vertical distance between the horizontal section of the track and the ground is 1.9m. The height from where the block is released is uknown. And at the horizontal of the track there is a 1 m horizontal section where friction exists, and the coefficient of friction there is .3.

help please! thanksss =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by: Finding the speed as the block leaves the horizontal ramp. Use kinematics to find how long it would take an object to accelerate 1.9 m, distance from the track to the ground, then use that time and the distance 4.61 m to find the block's speed as it leaves the ramp. Hope that helps a lil.

Alright i did that, i found the speed as it leaves the track and i got : 7.407 m/s.

So to find the height... because KE = PE... then (mv^2)/2 = mgh --> h=(v^2)/2g and i got 2.7963 for my height...? is that correct?

Thats as far as I am getting, other than that i don't know how to do part c...

help again pleaaase

for part c, i found the total energy (KE + PE) and i got 26.2143. THen i did 26.2143 = (1/2)mv^2 and solved for v and got 9.599 m/s^2. Is that my velocity as it hits the ground? Dont i have to account for the friction?

1. What is a frictionless problem?

A frictionless problem is a theoretical problem in physics that assumes there is no friction between any surfaces or objects involved in the problem. This allows for easier calculations and analysis of the problem.

2. How do you solve a 3-part frictionless problem?

To solve a 3-part frictionless problem, you must first identify the three parts involved - typically two objects and a force acting between them. Then, you can use the principles of Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy to analyze and solve the problem.

3. What are the benefits of solving a frictionless problem?

Solving a frictionless problem allows for a simplified analysis of a physical situation, making it easier to understand and calculate. It also allows for a more accurate representation of theoretical scenarios and can aid in predicting real-world outcomes.

4. What are the limitations of solving a frictionless problem?

Solving a frictionless problem can only provide theoretical outcomes and cannot account for real-world factors such as friction, air resistance, or other external forces. Additionally, it may not accurately represent situations where friction is a significant factor.

5. How can solving a frictionless problem be applied in real life?

While frictionless problems may not directly apply to real-world situations, the principles and techniques used to solve them can be applied to more complex problems involving friction. This can aid in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects and systems in the real world.