Sliding blocks with friction

In summary, the problem involves two blocks, one resting on top of the other on a frictionless table. The coefficient of friction between the blocks causes them to just start to slip when a horizontal force of 27 N is applied to the lower block. The maximum value for the upper block to slide without slipping relative to the lower block is found by applying a horizontal force of ##F'=\frac{M_A}{M_B}F## to the upper block.
Born

Homework Statement

Kleppner and Kolenkow "An Introduction to Mechanics (2nd ed.)" prob. 3.2:

Mass MA = 4 kg rests on top of mass MB = 5 kg that rests on a frictionless table. The coefficient of friction between the two blocks is such that the blocks just start to slip when the horizontal force F applied to the lower block is 27 N. Suppose that now a horizontal force is applied to the upper block. What is its maximum value for the blocks to slide without slipping relative to each other?

Hint: if F = 30 N, MA = 5 kg, MB = 6 kg, then F' = 25 N

Homework Equations

##F = ma## and ##f = μmg##

The Attempt at a Solution

So I start of finding μ with the first system where block A is just about to slide and only friction acts on it (I assume the acceleration for both blocks is equal). The two equations with the two unknowns:

## f=\mu M_A g=M_Aa_1## and ##F-f=F-\mu M_A g = M_Ba_1## which solving for ##\mu## gives ##μ=\frac{F}{(M_A+M_B)g}##

Now the second system where block A has a force applied to it making the force of friction act against it. Since it it just about to slip I assume friction should be at its maximum (i.e. ##f=-\mu M_Ag##). I assume the accelerations are equal as well. The equations are:

##F'-f=M_Aa_2## and ##F+f=M_Ba_2## solving for ##F'## (by substituting ##a_2##) yields:

##F'=f+ M_A(\frac{F+f}{M_B})=\mu M_Ag+ M_A(\frac{F+\mu M_Ag}{M_B})## finally substituting ##\mu## and simplifying:

##F'=\frac{2M_A}{M_B}F## which does not agree with the hint. Any help is welcome.

Thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• KK 3.2.jpg
    KK 3.2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 867
Physics news on Phys.org
Born said:
So I start of finding μ with the first system where block A is just about to slide and only friction acts on it (I assume the acceleration for both blocks is equal). The two equations with the two unknowns:

## f=\mu M_A g=M_Aa_1## and ##F-f=F-\mu M_A g = M_Ba_1## which solving for ##\mu## gives ##μ=\frac{F}{(M_A+M_B)g}##Now the second system where block A has a force applied to it making the force of friction act against it. Since it it just about to slip I assume friction should be at its maximum (i.e. ##f=-\mu M_Ag##). I assume the accelerations are equal as well. The equations are:

##F'-f=M_Aa_2## and ##F+f=M_Ba_2## solving for ##F'## (by substituting ##a_2##) yields:

##F'=f+ M_A(\frac{F+f}{M_B})=\mu M_Ag+ M_A(\frac{F+\mu M_Ag}{M_B})## finally substituting ##\mu## and simplifying:

##F'=\frac{2M_A}{M_B}F## which does not agree with the hint. Any help is welcome.

Thanks in advanced.

Nice work ! Your work is correct under the assumption that F continues to act when F' is applied on the upper block This is not the case here .

On first attempt I got the same answer as yours :) .I also interpreted the problem as you did .But looking at the hint ,it seems that the statement needs to be interpreted somewhat differently.

Suppose that now a horizontal force is applied to the upper block. What is its maximum value for the blocks to slide without slipping relative to each other?

This means that now F' is the only horizontal force acting on the system of two blocks and F=27N ceases to act on the lower block . In this case you should get ##F'=\frac{M_A}{M_B}F## which agrees with the hint.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Got it. Thanks! :)

What is the concept of "sliding blocks with friction"?

The concept of "sliding blocks with friction" refers to a physics problem that involves a block or object sliding along a surface with friction acting on it. This can be a complex system with many variables, but the basic principles involve analyzing the forces and motion of the sliding block.

How is friction involved in sliding blocks?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. When a block is sliding along a surface, friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion, slowing down the block. In the context of sliding blocks with friction, it is important to consider the type and strength of friction present in the system.

What factors affect the motion of sliding blocks with friction?

Several factors can affect the motion of sliding blocks with friction. These include the surface material and texture, the weight and shape of the block, and the strength of the applied force. Additionally, the angle of the surface and the presence of other forces, such as air resistance, can also impact the motion.

How does the coefficient of friction play a role in sliding blocks?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction present between two surfaces. In the context of sliding blocks with friction, the coefficient of friction can determine the strength of the frictional force acting on the block. A higher coefficient of friction means a stronger frictional force, which can significantly affect the motion of the block.

What are some real-world applications of studying sliding blocks with friction?

The study of sliding blocks with friction has many real-world applications, including understanding the motion of objects on inclined planes, analyzing the performance of vehicles on different road surfaces, and designing machinery with moving parts. It is also important in fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science.