Solving Physics Problems: Coin Down an Incline

In summary: So the coefficient of kinetic friction is the ratio of the frictional force to the kinetic energy of the objects.
Jon.G

Homework Statement

(c) This coin is placed flat on the same ramp (incline of 50.0o to the horizontal) and released from rest. How fast is the coin moving after the same distance down the ramp (30.0 cm) if the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.75?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what is meant by the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
the coefficient of kinetic friction tells you how the surfaces (the coin and the ramp surfaces) interact. Start with a free-body diagram and show all the forces on the object. But maybe first you should read about friction and see how the coefficient of friction is used:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/frict.html

Jon.G said:

Homework Statement

(c) This coin is placed flat on the same ramp (incline of 50.0o to the horizontal) and released from rest. How fast is the coin moving after the same distance down the ramp (30.0 cm) if the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.75?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what is meant by the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Seems like something you could look up in your notes, your text, or online via web search.

There are two coefficients of friction - inertial and kinetic. In both cases, they are the ratio of the frictional force to the force pushing the two surfaces together.

Generally, materials will have a higher coefficient when they are not sliding past each other. That higher coefficient is the "inertial" one. Once that inertial friction is overcome, the surfaces begin sliding past each other and the frictional force becomes "kinetic friction".

.Scott said:
There are two coefficients of friction - inertial and kinetic. In both cases, they are the ratio of the frictional force to the force pushing the two surfaces together.

Generally, materials will have a higher coefficient when they are not sliding past each other. That higher coefficient is the "inertial" one. Once that inertial friction is overcome, the surfaces begin sliding past each other and the frictional force becomes "kinetic friction".

I think you mean "static", not "inertial". The two coefficients for the standard model of friction are:

μs: coefficient of static friction
μk: coefficient of kinetic friction

Oh my God. I don't know why but whenever I read this question I read it as 'coefficient of kinetic energy' and I was getting really confused by it. That's embarassing :S

1. How do I calculate the acceleration of a coin rolling down an incline?

To calculate the acceleration of a coin rolling down an incline, you can use the formula a = g*sin(theta), where g is the acceleration due to gravity (typically 9.8 m/s^2) and theta is the angle of the incline. This formula assumes that there is no friction present.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion in this problem?

In this problem, linear motion refers to the motion of the coin along the incline, while rotational motion refers to the motion of the coin as it rolls down the incline. In linear motion, the velocity and acceleration vectors are in the same direction, while in rotational motion, the velocity and acceleration vectors are perpendicular to each other.

3. How does the mass of the coin affect its motion down the incline?

The mass of the coin does not affect its motion down the incline, as long as there is no air resistance or other external forces present. This is because the force of gravity is independent of an object's mass.

4. Can I use the same equation for a coin of any shape or size?

Yes, the equation a = g*sin(theta) can be used for any object rolling down an incline, regardless of its shape or size. However, if you are taking into account friction, the shape and size of the object may affect the coefficient of friction and therefore the final calculations.

5. How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of the coin?

The angle of the incline affects the acceleration of the coin. As the angle increases, the acceleration of the coin also increases. This is because the component of the force of gravity acting down the incline increases as the angle increases.