1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sliding down a pole

1. Sep 13, 2006 #1
    A firefighter with a weight of 712 N slides down a vertical pole with an acceleration of 3.00 m/s^2, directed downward. What are the magnitudes and directions of the vertical forces (a) on the firefighter from the pole and (b) on the pole from the firefighter?? I think the magnitudes would be the same, but other than that I don't know. If you've followed my other threads, you'll know I'm pressed for time, but you'll also know I'm here to learn. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2006 #2
    what is the force pulling him down?

What is the net force?

Can you find the force of the pole?
  4. Sep 13, 2006 #3
    The force pulling him down? Gravity, at -9.8 m/s^2, right?
    As for the net force, or the force of the pole, I'm not sure.
  5. Sep 13, 2006 #4
    he's sliding down the pole with acceleration with 3m/s^2 right?

is this the acceleration due to gravity? No... that means some force is opposing gravity right? What is the net acceleration? Net means the acceleration that is actually happening after all factors are taken into play.
  6. Sep 14, 2006 #5
    So are you saying you would add gravity and the 3.00 m/s^2?
  7. Sep 14, 2006 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What force of gravity acts on the person? Hint: It's given!

What must the net force be on the person? Hint: Use Newton's 2nd law.

The upward force from the pole and the downward force of gravity act together to provide the net force. Use that fact to figure out the upward force from the pole.
  8. Sep 14, 2006 #7
    Is the firefighter's actual weight the force of gravity that acts on him, 712 N?

I happen to know the answer is 494 N up, and 494 N down. Now, how do I get to this answer?
  9. Sep 14, 2006 #8

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

By answering the questions in my last post and doing what I suggested.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?