Firefighter Sliding Down Pole: Magnitudes & Directions of Forces

In summary, a firefighter slides down a vertical pole with an acceleration of 3.00 m/s^2. The upward force from the pole is 494 N, and the downward force of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.
physics newb
A firefighter with a weight of 712 N slides down a vertical pole with an acceleration of 3.00 m/s^2, directed downward. What are the magnitudes and directions of the vertical forces (a) on the firefighter from the pole and (b) on the pole from the firefighter?? I think the magnitudes would be the same, but other than that I don't know. If you've followed my other threads, you'll know I'm pressed for time, but you'll also know I'm here to learn. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
what is the force pulling him down?

What is the net force?

Can you find the force of the pole?

The force pulling him down? Gravity, at -9.8 m/s^2, right?
As for the net force, or the force of the pole, I'm not sure.

physics newb said:
The force pulling him down? Gravity, at -9.8 m/s^2, right?
As for the net force, or the force of the pole, I'm not sure.
he's sliding down the pole with acceleration with 3m/s^2 right?

is this the acceleration due to gravity? No... that means some force is opposing gravity right? What is the net acceleration? Net means the acceleration that is actually happening after all factors are taken into play.

So are you saying you would add gravity and the 3.00 m/s^2?

What force of gravity acts on the person? Hint: It's given!

What must the net force be on the person? Hint: Use Newton's 2nd law.

The upward force from the pole and the downward force of gravity act together to provide the net force. Use that fact to figure out the upward force from the pole.

Is the firefighter's actual weight the force of gravity that acts on him, 712 N?

I happen to know the answer is 494 N up, and 494 N down. Now, how do I get to this answer?

physics newb said:
Is the firefighter's actual weight the force of gravity that acts on him, 712 N?
Yes.

I happen to know the answer is 494 N up, and 494 N down. Now, how do I get to this answer?
By answering the questions in my last post and doing what I suggested.

What is the purpose of studying the magnitudes and directions of forces in a firefighter sliding down a pole?

The study of magnitudes and directions of forces in a firefighter sliding down a pole helps us understand the physical forces involved in this action, which can inform the design of safety equipment and training for firefighters.

What are the main forces acting on a firefighter sliding down a pole?

The main forces acting on a firefighter sliding down a pole are gravity, friction, and air resistance. Gravity pulls the firefighter downwards, friction between the pole and the firefighter's gear provides the necessary grip, and air resistance creates a drag force.

How do the magnitudes and directions of forces change as a firefighter slides down a pole?

As a firefighter slides down a pole, the magnitude of the gravitational force remains constant while the magnitudes of friction and air resistance increase. The direction of the gravitational force remains downwards, while the direction of the friction force is upwards and the direction of the air resistance force is opposite to the direction of motion.

How can firefighters minimize the risks associated with sliding down a pole?

Firefighters can minimize the risks associated with sliding down a pole by wearing appropriate gear, such as gloves and non-slip boots, and by following proper techniques for gripping the pole and controlling their descent. Adequate training and regular equipment maintenance can also help reduce risks.

How can knowledge of forces involved in sliding down a pole be applied to other situations?

The knowledge of forces involved in sliding down a pole can be applied to other situations where similar forces are at play, such as in amusement park rides or rock climbing. This understanding can also inform the design of safety equipment and training for these activities.