Sliding gate motor selection

In summary, the conversation discusses the installation of a drive motor for a sliding gate that weighs 1500 kg and has 5 v-grove wheels with a diameter of 160 mm. The individual is concerned about whether the purchased motor will be sufficient for the gate and is trying to calculate the force required to accelerate it. However, the calculations provided are incomplete and there are other factors, such as friction from the bearings and guide rollers, that need to be taken into account. It is suggested to approach the problem by estimating all possible losses and determining the available power to accelerate the gate. A list of all acquired parts and their descriptions would also be helpful.
ewomach
hi everyone,

i have slidig gate that i need to install a drive motor. the gate weight is 1500 kg and has 5 v-grove wheels. the dia. of the wheels are 160 mm. We already bought a motor for it but i am concerned about if that motor will be sufficient for this gate. i am trying to calculate the force required to accelarte the gate.
please see my calculations below and let me know if i am on the right track.

Rolling friction (fr) = C rr x Nf = 0.0005 x 15000 N = 7.5N
F - fr = m x a = 1500kg x 0.196m/s^2
F = 294N + 7.5N = 301.5 required to accelerate the gate

Motor Properties
Torque force = 1300N
Output revolution = 52 rpm
Pinion = Z18
Rated Power = 650W

I will be glad if someone can help me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You calcs are more than a little bit sketchy.

Your rolling friction calc shows three factors, C, rr, Nf, but then you only provided 2 numbers. Did you do this right?

Where did the acceleration of 0.196 m/s^2 come from?

Where did the 294N come from?

What on Earth is a "Torque force"?

The short answer is, yes, any motor will do, if you are willing to move the gate slowly enough, and provided it is sufficient to overcome the system friction.

Crr is the dimensionless rolling resistance coefficient ,

i exactly don't know what the speed of the gate should be so i just used the motor speed = 52 rpm. pinion pitch diameter = 0.072m

v = 3.14 x D x w =3.14 x 0.072 x 52 = 11.76 m/minute = 0.196m/s

so i just assumed to reached this velocity in 1 second.

since i am not so familiar with with this. Is there any other loads than rolling friction.

i will be glad if you direct me how i should size the motor correctly

Your assumption that it must reach this velocity in one second then is rather arbitrary. Since your group has (unwisely?) already purchased a motor already, perhaps you should approach this problem the other way around, namely, ask how quickly can this motor get the gate up to speed?

You have talked about rolling friction, and that will definitely be present. You have not talked about how the motor will drive the gate, what sort of mechanism will be used. Whatever drive you use will have some friction and associated losses in it as well, so you need to take those into account.

Is this gate hinged, or does it simply roll in a track? If it is hinged, there is friction there also.

Look at the whole system and try to estimate all of the possible losses. Then you can estimate the load on the motor and see how much power is available to accelerate the gate. From that, you can find out how long it will take to get the gate up to speed.

Torque force is what i didn't understand. in the product cataloque it is given as 1300N. so i assumed with Z18 Pinion (Pitch Dia. 0.072m) force applied to the rack. Torque= F x r = 1300N x 0.072 = 46.8Nm.

Other than the rolling friction. There are friction on the Bearings and as you mentioned there will be losses on the pinion rack mechanism. I don't expect those losses to be big.

if i check how quickly my motor can get the gate up to speed:
F - fr = m x a
1300N - 7.5N = 1500kg x a
a = 0.861 m/s^2
This accelaration does not sound so logical to me.
Can the Losses that i neglected (Friction on the bearings, dirt on the track, Friction on the guide rollers, Losses on the drive Mechaism) be so big?

A rock in front of a wheel can cause the "wheel friction" to go up amazingly!

Nice of you to mention that there is a rack involved here.
What else have you not mentioned that really ought to be told at this point?
Perhaps a list (with full descriptions) of the parts you have already acquired would be a start.

1. How do I determine the weight of my sliding gate?

The weight of your sliding gate can be determined by using a scale or by consulting the manufacturer's specifications. To ensure accuracy, it is recommended to measure the weight with the gate fully assembled and in its closed position.

2. What type of sliding gate motor is suitable for my gate?

The type of sliding gate motor suitable for your gate depends on several factors such as the weight and size of your gate, the frequency of use, and your budget. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the best motor for your specific needs.

3. How much power is needed for a sliding gate motor?

The power needed for a sliding gate motor depends on the weight and size of your gate. Most manufacturers will provide a power rating for their motors, and it is important to choose one that can handle the weight of your gate. It is also recommended to have a surge protector installed to protect the motor from power fluctuations.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC sliding gate motors?

The main difference between AC and DC sliding gate motors is the source of power. AC motors run on alternating current from your home's power supply, while DC motors run on direct current from a battery or solar panel. AC motors are typically cheaper and easier to install, while DC motors are more energy-efficient and can operate during power outages.

5. How do I maintain my sliding gate motor?

To maintain your sliding gate motor, it is important to regularly clean and lubricate the moving parts, such as the chain and gears. Check for any signs of wear and tear and replace any worn out parts. It is also recommended to have a professional inspect and service your motor annually to ensure it is functioning properly.