Solve for Distance Sliding in Socks with Friction of .250

• Thread starter Heat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sliding
In summary, the speaker attempts to solve a physics problem involving sliding in socks on a frictional floor. They use the formula for kinetic energy and the coefficient of friction to try to find the distance they will slide before stopping. They eventually solve for d and determine that the solution is 1.84m.
Heat
[SOLVED] Sliding in Socks

Homework Statement

Suppose that the coefficient of friction between your feet and the floor, while wearing socks, is 0.250. Knowing this, you decide to get a running start and then slide across the floor.

If your speed is 3.00 m/s when you start to slide, what distance d will you slide before stopping?

The Attempt at a Solution

We are given that coefficient of friction is .250

f = .250(n)

I really don't know to go from here.

We are given speed so, let me permit my brain to flow with the numbers :D

K= .5mv^2 may apply

.250mg = .5m(.250)^2
.250(9.8)m = .5m(.250)^2
2.45m = .003125m
...and it ends there..so I just went the wrong way.

Solution is 1.84m, but I want to learn how to do this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok

I got that

k1 = .5mvo^2
k2 = .5mv^2

f = umg

W = F *s

we know that f is a F so I could use that

so

W = -fd = -umgd
Wtotal = k2-k1

so I would think it would be safe to say taht

k2-k1 = -umgd

.5(mv^2) - .5(mvo^2) = -umgd

is this is all correct thusfar, how do I continue?

Last edited:
Looks good. Just solve for d. (Isolate d on one side.)

yep got it, at first, I was confused on what to do with the m, and realized that they are common factor and cancel out.

1. What is the equation for solving distance sliding in socks with friction of .250?

The equation for solving distance sliding in socks with friction of .250 is D = (μF) / 2, where D is the distance, μ is the coefficient of friction, and F is the force applied.

2. How do you calculate the coefficient of friction for socks?

To calculate the coefficient of friction for socks, you would need a scale, a flat surface, and a ruler. First, weigh the person wearing the socks on the scale and record the weight. Then, have them stand on the flat surface and push them gently until they start sliding. Measure the distance they slid and calculate the force applied (weight x 9.8m/s^2). Finally, plug the values into the equation μ = (2D) / F to determine the coefficient of friction.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction for socks?

The coefficient of friction for socks can be affected by several factors, including the material of the socks (cotton, wool, etc.), the surface they are sliding on (wood, carpet, etc.), the amount of moisture on the surface, and the amount of pressure applied by the person wearing the socks.

4. How does the coefficient of friction impact the distance sliding in socks?

The coefficient of friction directly impacts the distance sliding in socks. The higher the coefficient of friction, the more resistance there is between the socks and the surface, resulting in a shorter distance sliding. Conversely, a lower coefficient of friction means less resistance and a longer distance sliding.

5. Can solving for distance sliding in socks with friction of .250 be used for other objects?

Yes, the equation for solving distance sliding in socks with friction of .250 can be applied to other objects as long as the same unit of measurement is used for all variables. However, keep in mind that the coefficient of friction may vary depending on the material and surface of the object.