Sliding off from the circular plate

Your Name]In summary, Toby is on a merry-go-round with a coefficient of static friction of 0.5 between his feet and the surface. He starts at a radius of 2m and will slide outwards until he falls off at a radius of 3m. To find the number of revolutions, we can use the equation 4πm = 2πr * n, where n is the number of revolutions. Solving for n, we get n = 2, meaning Toby will undergo 2 revolutions before sliding off. It is important to remember that science is all about asking questions and finding answers. Best of luck with your studies!
sheeproars

Homework Statement

Toby is on a merry-go-round. The coefficient of static friction between his feet and
the merry-go-round is 0.5. Toby is located 2 m from the center.
a. Once Toby starts to slide he is going to slide outward until he falls off the merry-go-round at radius = 3m. How many revolutions will the merry-go-round undergo during this part of his journey?

Homework Equations

f(friction) = u(coefficient of Friction) * N(Normal Force) = u*mg
Net F = ma_c = mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I had to use kinetic friction but I wasn't sure because it wasn't given and there's no way to find it...
so I just used static friction.. f = u * mg
and friction is the only force working in this one.. so F net = f
u*mg = mv^2/r
m's cancel out and I got v = 3.1305m/s as the speed that he will start slipping off the merry-go-round. Then I thought may be I can use Kinematic equations to find the time and find the total revolution.. but I have no idea how to approach it.. help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with your solution so far. To find the number of revolutions, we can use the fact that the circumference of the circle is equal to 2πr, where r is the radius. Since Toby starts at a radius of 2m and ends up at a radius of 3m, we can calculate the distance he travels as 2π(3m) - 2π(2m), or 4πm. This is equal to the distance traveled in one revolution (2πr) multiplied by the number of revolutions, so we can set up the equation 4πm = 2πr * n, where n is the number of revolutions. Solving for n, we get n = 2. This means that Toby will undergo 2 revolutions before sliding off the merry-go-round.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Keep up the good work! If you have any further questions or need any additional assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. Science is all about asking questions and finding answers. Best of luck with your studies!

1. What causes an object to slide off from a circular plate?

The main reason for an object sliding off from a circular plate is the force of gravity pulling it downwards. This force can be affected by various factors such as the weight and shape of the object, the surface of the plate, and the angle at which the object is placed on the plate.

2. Can the surface of the circular plate affect the sliding off process?

Yes, the surface of the circular plate can significantly impact the sliding off process. A smooth and slippery surface, such as glass or metal, will make it easier for an object to slide off compared to a rough or sticky surface.

3. Is there a specific angle at which an object will slide off from a circular plate?

The angle at which an object will slide off from a circular plate depends on the weight and shape of the object, as well as the surface of the plate. However, in general, a steeper angle will make it easier for an object to slide off compared to a flatter angle.

4. Can the shape of the object affect the sliding off process?

Yes, the shape of the object can play a significant role in the sliding off process. Objects with a flat or smooth surface, such as a coin, will slide off more easily compared to objects with irregular shapes or textured surfaces.

5. How can the sliding off process be prevented?

To prevent an object from sliding off a circular plate, one can increase the friction between the object and the surface of the plate. This can be done by placing a non-slip material, such as a rubber mat, underneath the object or by increasing the weight of the object. Additionally, adjusting the angle at which the object is placed on the plate can also prevent sliding off.