Solving Sliding Wire Problem: Determine Magnitude & Direction of Current

In summary: The current will point in the direction of the magnetic field, which is the same as the direction of the weight.
EvanQ

Homework Statement

A straight piece of conducting wire with mass M and length L is placed on a frictionless incline tilted at an angle theta from the horizontal. There is a uniform, vertical magnetic field vecB at all points (produced by an arrangement of magnets not shown in the figure). To keep the wire from sliding down the incline, a voltage source is attached to the ends of the wire. When just the right amount of current flows through the wire, the wire remains at rest.

YF-27-67.jpg

Determine the magnitude of the current in the wire that will cause the wire to remain at rest.
Express your answer in terms of the variables M, theta, L, B, and appropriate constants.

Determine the direction of the current in the wire that will cause the wire to remain at rest.

In addition viewing the wire from its left-hand end, show in a free-body diagram all the forces that act on the wire.

Homework Equations

dF = Idl ×B
or possible the bio-stavart law.. I'm not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

the current must be directed from the right to the left i think?

other than that, unsure how to start, just chasing a hint or beginning to work from.

thanks heaps.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok so force pulling the wire down:

F=masinθ
= -9.8Msinθ

so for the rest:

F=ILBsinθ
9.8Msinθ=ILBsinθ
9.8M=ILB
I=9.8M/LB ??

and the current would go to the left, determined by the right hand rule?

EvanQ said:
and the current would go to the left, determined by the right hand rule?
Yes, but be careful with the angles. The angle between current and magnetic field is 90°, and so the resulting force points horizontally. One has to ensure that the force on the wire parallel to incline matches the weight component down the incline.

In this geometry, the angle between magnetic field and current is not the angle of the incline.

9.8Msin180=ILBsin90??

really confused sorry :(

Think in 3D. You know the force [tex]F_b=\vec{B}\times \vec{i}L[/tex]. Here the force is perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field. Using the left hand rule, find out the direction of the current, and the equate the appropriate components.

1. How do I determine the magnitude and direction of current in a sliding wire problem?

The magnitude and direction of current in a sliding wire problem can be determined using the right-hand rule. Simply point your right thumb in the direction of the wire's motion and curl your fingers towards the direction of the magnetic field. The direction your fingers point in is the direction of the current, while the strength of the current is determined by the length of your fingers.

2. What factors affect the magnitude and direction of current in a sliding wire problem?

The magnitude and direction of current in a sliding wire problem can be affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the wire, and the angle between the wire and the magnetic field. Additionally, the resistance of the wire and the length of the wire can also impact the magnitude of the current.

3. How can I solve a sliding wire problem without knowing the velocity of the wire?

If the velocity of the wire is not given in the problem, you can still solve for the magnitude and direction of the current by using the equations V = d/t and F = BIL, where V is the velocity, d is the distance traveled, t is the time taken, F is the force, B is the magnetic field, I is the current, and L is the length of the wire.

4. Can the direction of the current in a sliding wire problem change?

Yes, the direction of the current in a sliding wire problem can change depending on the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the wire's motion. If the wire changes direction or the magnetic field changes direction, the direction of the current will also change.

5. How do I know if my solution for a sliding wire problem is correct?

You can check your solution for a sliding wire problem by using the equations V = BIL and F = BIL. Plug in your calculated values for each variable and see if they match. Additionally, you can also check the direction of the current using the right-hand rule to make sure it aligns with the direction of the wire's motion and the magnetic field.