How is the dot product used to find perpendicular lines?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the dot product to find perpendicular lines. It clarifies that the dot product is only applicable when the lines are perpendicular and not parallel. The examples in the book use the directional vector and not the equation of the line, which may cause confusion. The person is still unsure about their understanding and asks for clarification.
qazxsw11111
Hi everyone! So I was looking at vectors and there is this topic which teaches you about using the dot product to find perpendicular lines.

In the sense where AB // CD, AB.CD=0 right?

However, the examples given in the book only uses the directional vector.

E.g. You are given this line l1. Then you need to find the foot of the perpendicular from a point P to l1. So the example use the fact that F (foot of perpendicular) lies on l1 (which l1 vector parametric equation is given) to get the equation of OF and subsequently PF. However, they dot multiplied the PF with the direction vector of l1 and not the equation of l1 which is what I initially thought of.

I know I am misunderstanding something but not sure what it is.

Thank you so much for any clarifications given.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
qazxsw11111 said:
Hi everyone! So I was looking at vectors and there is this topic which teaches you about using the dot product to find perpendicular lines.

In the sense where AB // CD, AB.CD=0 right?
NO! If AB is parallel to CD then AB.CD is equal to the product of the lengths of AB and CD. AB.CD= 0 if AB and CD are perpendicular not parallel.

However, the examples given in the book only uses the directional vector.

E.g. You are given this line l1. Then you need to find the foot of the perpendicular from a point P to l1. So the example use the fact that F (foot of perpendicular) lies on l1 (which l1 vector parametric equation is given) to get the equation of OF and subsequently PF. However, they dot multiplied the PF with the direction vector of l1 and not the equation of l1 which is what I initially thought of.
What do you mean by the dot product of lines anyway?

I know I am misunderstanding something but not sure what it is.

Thank you so much for any clarifications given.
I don't understand what your misunderstanding is! You seem to be complaining that they do not take the dot product of a vector with an equation which would make no sense at all. The dot product is defined only for vectors. Those are the only things you can take the dot product of!

1. What exactly is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude and no direction, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalar quantities include temperature, time, and mass, while examples of vector quantities include force, velocity, and displacement.

3. How are vectors used in science?

Vectors are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as motion, forces, and electric fields.

4. Can vectors be added and subtracted?

Yes, vectors can be added and subtracted using mathematical operations. When adding or subtracting vectors, both magnitude and direction must be taken into account. This is done by breaking down the vectors into their x and y components and then adding or subtracting the components separately.

5. How are vectors represented graphically?

Vectors are typically represented graphically by arrows, with the length and direction of the arrow representing the magnitude and direction of the vector, respectively. The arrows can be drawn on a coordinate system, with the starting point of the arrow at the origin and the endpoint at the coordinates of the vector.