How do you get from equation (2) to (3) in quantum mechanics?

• Thread starter resurgance2001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the conversation is about the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics and how it can be derived from the Schwarz inequality. The speaker is struggling to understand the author's explanation of the derivation, specifically how they go from equation (2) to (3). Another author's version of the equation is slightly different, but they also do not provide an explanation. The issue is resolved when it is pointed out that the expectation value of the product of a constant and an operator is equal to the constant multiplied by the expectation value of the operator.
resurgance2001
I am reading a book about quantum mechanics and the author is trying to show how the uncertainty principle can be obtained from the Schwarz inequality.

Without going into the whole thing there is one point I get stuck following what he is doing.We have an operator called DA.

We start with DA = A - <A> (1)

From this we get:

<DA^2> = <A^2 + <A>^2 - 2A<A>> (2)

I can just about live with that. But then says: taking the expectation value of the last term in this equation, you get this result:

<DA^2> = <A^2> - <A>^2 (3)I just can't see how he goes from (2) to (3). I have checked and found the same thing written by another author. That author's version of (2) is slightly different, but only in the way he puts various bracket round things and then he too jumps to the same conclusion giving no explanation of how it was done.

Can anyone help? Thanks Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that ##\langle A \rangle## is a (real) number. Thus ##\langle \langle A \rangle A \rangle=\langle A \rangle\langle A \rangle=\langle A \rangle^2.##

Great - got it! Thanks

1. What is a "slightly confusing equation"?

A slightly confusing equation is a mathematical expression that may be difficult to understand or solve at first glance. It may involve complex symbols or unfamiliar concepts that can make it confusing to some people.

2. Why do scientists use slightly confusing equations?

Scientists use slightly confusing equations to represent complex phenomena or relationships in a concise and precise manner. These equations are often used to make predictions or explain observations in the natural world.

3. How can I understand a slightly confusing equation better?

To better understand a slightly confusing equation, it is helpful to break it down into smaller parts and familiarize yourself with the symbols and concepts involved. You can also seek out additional resources or ask for clarification from a teacher or expert in the field.

4. Are slightly confusing equations important?

Yes, slightly confusing equations are important in science as they allow us to describe, analyze, and predict complex phenomena and patterns in the natural world. They are also essential in developing new theories and advancing our understanding of the universe.

5. Can slightly confusing equations be solved?

Yes, slightly confusing equations can be solved with the right knowledge, tools, and techniques. It may require some time and effort, but by using mathematical principles and logical reasoning, scientists can find solutions to even the most complex equations.