Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slightly interesting triangle formula

1. Jan 25, 2006 #1

Homework Helper

Here's a strange identity I found. Nothing spectacular, and it should be clear from the form of it how I derived it, but I though it was kind of cool, and I've never seen this type of geometric identity.

Given a triangle with side lengths A, B, and C, (with B<A, and maybe some other restrictions I've missed) and angle [itex]\gamma[/itex] opposite C, then the following identity holds:

[tex]\ln \left( \frac{A}{C} \right) = \frac{B}{A} \cos (\gamma) + \frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{B}{A} \right)^2 \cos (2\gamma) + ... [/tex]

Anyone ever seen this before? Do you know if it can be put in a more pleasing form, or applied to anything useful? I know it quickly gives a few taylor series with certain values for the sides and angle. It was derived algebraically, but maybe there's a really clever geometric proof?

EDIT: Actually, I was thinking, wouldn't this give a method for constructing (ie, with a compas and straightedge) the logs of numbers, albeit in an infinite number of steps? I don't know much about constructing numbers, but it does seem to be a conducive form.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted