Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SlimQuick Cleanse

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.slimquickonline.com/slmquick-cleanse.html

Caffeine in Coffee:
    Double espresso (2oz) 45-100 mg
    Brewed coffee (8 oz) 60-120 mg
    http://coffeetea.about.com/library/blcaffeine.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:uhh: So it helps you lose weight by giving you enough caffeine-equivalent to ensure a laxative effect? Geez, just have a pot of coffee.

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/hoodia-lots-of-hoopla-little-science

5. Sep 21, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting. Even if it mimics caffeine, caffeine does have some appetite suppressant qualities. Though, that article seems to state that it doesn't have the jittery side effects of caffeine, so it might be something else. I should see if I can track down the Brain Research article to see what it supposedly mimics. Though, it's worth noting that Brain Research tends to publish rather weak research.

The biggest concern is that the only proper study in humans only had 7 subjects. So, while it might work, without a placebo-controlled, double-blind study with more subjects and for longer duration, there's no certainty that it wasn't just being part of a trial or eating breakfast or a multivitamin (those were the instructions to subjects in the study cited in the article) that affected some short-term weight loss.

But, like other things that are in the "herbal remedy" domain, there's this concern cited in the article:
    So, even if it might have some efficacy, there's a good chance the product that one is buying may have none of the effective ingredient actually in it, or not enough of it.

That, along with the lack of safety testing, is one of the reasons I have such problems with the herbal remedy industry not having to comply with the same regulations as the pharmaceutical industry. If there really is an active compound in a particular herb, then there is likely to be an effective dose range, and a toxic dose range, and knowing where to draw the line between the two is important. So is quality control testing to ensure that the product contains what it says it contains...partly to ensure you are within the effective dose range and safely away from the toxic dose range. And, like any pharmaceutical, even if it's naturally occurring, there may be drug interactions, and those too should be tested and determined in proper clinical trials if a product is being marketing for consumption by the general public.

6. Sep 23, 2008 #5
    Contains 40mg of Horse tail ????

7. Sep 23, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

lol...

I think they must mean the plant:

[​IMG]

8. Sep 24, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

9. Apr 13, 2010 #8
    I don't know what horse tail is included in there for, there is no evidence that this stuff does anything good for health. I think it probably a scam like a lot of other supplements out there.

Just my thoughts

Paul Collins

10. Sep 7, 2010 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

There really aren't any herbal products that by themselves are of much benefit.

11. Sep 22, 2010 #10
    If it's to be a "cleanse," I would think a fast, perhaps accompanied by a flush, followed by a simple, highly digestible natural foods, would be best.

12. Sep 23, 2010 #11
    I would think a heaping spoonful of Metamucil would do the trick just as well!

13. Sep 25, 2010 #12
    Well, nothing beats the new and iimproved, super co...

Nevermind.

14. Oct 1, 2010 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

15. Dec 22, 2011 #14
    I think it is important that more testing is done on all these products. I don't understand why the FAA has different standards for herbal products. Natural products are more appealing to the general public right now, reason enough to be more strict.

16. Dec 23, 2011 #15
    I meant to write FDA, but I work in the aviation industry so there you go :wink:.

17. Jan 11, 2012 #16
    well I wonder how could they ever PROPERLY test any health products (especially the so-claimed "natural" ones) without at least a decade and few thousands of volunteers.

18. Jan 19, 2012 #17

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

The whole herbal therapy thing is mythology. Are ingredients like snake, jellyfish, insect, plant, fungal, or microbiotic toxins safe for human consumption because they are 'naturally occuring'?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?