1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slingshot Physics

1. Mar 4, 2013 #1
    I am investigating how the displacement of an elastic band affects the distance an attached object will travel (the relationship between how far back you pull a slingshot and the distance an object will travel). What I am trying to do is find a formula where distance travelled is a function of elastic band displacement (in other words, a formula which says "x = ... d..."), but I ended up very confused. I tried equation manipulation with the following equations:

W = F*d

W = ΔEKinetic

EKinetic = (1/2)*m*v2

and

EElastic Potential = (1/2)*k*x2

I got close to the final equation, but I couldn't make it. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

* In the final equation, where "x = ... d...", I don't want the force, F, to be in the equation.

* We are assuming that initial kinetic energy was 0 (meaning that the initial velocity was 0).

* We are assuming that the effects of friction and air resistance are negligible.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I don't think the F of the elastic band is constant with distance.

You could try hooke's law on it and measure the F values for various distances of pullback.

Then you can use that to compute the work involved.

4. Mar 4, 2013 #3
    I didn't quite understand the question..

5. Mar 4, 2013 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

You won't need F, but you will need the "sprint constant" k for the sling shot. Note this is an approximation, since the graph of force versus stretch of rubber bands is not a straight line, but a curve. Example graph from a wiki article, which is also somewhat idealized. Usually the slope for the initial stretch is steeper, then decreases to a near straight line, then increases again at the limit of stretch (permanent deformation can occur if stretched close to the limit):

Elastic_hysteresis.htm

Archived web page showing a stretch versus tension graph for latex rubber used to launch radio control gliders (tension at 300% is about 175 lbs per square inch cross sectional area):

rubberdata.htm

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  6. Mar 5, 2013 #5
    Thank you very much, but I have found a solution:

First, due to conservation of energy, the elastic potential energy of the elastic band is equal to the kinetic energy of release. So:

EElastic Potential = (1/2)*k*x2

EKinetic = (1/2)*m*v2

(1/2)*k*x2 = (1/2)*m*v2

(1/2)*x2 = (m*v2)/(2k)

x2 = (2m*v2)/(2k)

x = √((m*v2)/(k))

By finding v2 using the equations of motion, the mass, m, will be the function of spring displacement, x, while v2 and k remain constant (v2 will change depending on the desired displacement for the object to travel in the x or y axis).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook