Slip Length: u - u_wall = β ∂u/∂n

In summary: In 1875, Kundt and Warburg performed a series of experiments on two different types of liquids flowing over a surface. They found that the slip velocity was inversely proportional to the mean free path and that the shear stress at the wall was proportional to the slip velocity. They also found that the proportionality constant was the same for all the experiments. This empirical result was later confirmed by Navier in 1823.""The proportionality constant (\beta) was later confirmed by Navier in 1823 through a series of experiments on liquids flowing over a surface."
AnneElizabeth
Wondering if someone could link me to a derivation of this formula? It's on the Wikipedia page for the no-slip condition.

u - u_wall = β ∂u/∂n

β = slip length
n = coordinate normal to the wall

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't believe it is derived from first principles, but rather is an empirical relationship based on observation.

Any chance of some guidance on the intuition behind it? I'm having trouble understanding it.

Well I am not entirely sure where the Wikipedia article gets its values, as it is not like anything I have ever seen. Most sources I have seen list slip velocity as being
[tex]u_{\mathrm{wall}} \approx \ell \left( \dfrac{\partial u}{\partial n} \right)_{\mathrm{wall}}[/tex]
where ##u_{\mathrm{wall}}## is the velocity at the wall (slip velocity), ##\ell## is the mean free path, and ##n## is the wall-normal coordinate. This is similar to what your linked Wikipedia article shows except it has a the left side strange. You could certainly rewrite it as
[tex]u_{\mathrm{wall}} = \beta \left( \dfrac{\partial u}{\partial n} \right)_{\mathrm{wall}}[/tex]
where ##\beta## is an unknown proportionality constant that is of the same order of magnitude as ##\ell##. It could also be written as
[tex]u_{\mathrm{wall}} = \alpha \ell \left( \dfrac{\partial u}{\partial n} \right)_{\mathrm{wall}}[/tex]
where ##\alpha## is now the unknown constant whose value is somewhere around (but not necessarily exactly) one. Those form can be derived from the kinetic theory of gases, but the exact value of ##\alpha## or ##\beta## cannot, to my knowledge. The fluids books I have handy don't go through the kinetic theory background of this relation, though apparently it is contained in https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000859FOO/?tag=pfamazon01-20 if you have access to university library and can find it.

Otherwise, really all it is saying is that the slip velocity is proportional to the mean free path and the shear stress at the wall. The proportionality constant is just chosen such that the best fit with reality is achieved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi just to let you know you were right about it being an empirical relationship based on observation. According to Kennard it was found through a series of experiments conducted in 1875 by Kundt and Warburg, although it does not go into detail. Some papers cite Navier 1823, although I have not been able to find this derivation either. Here is the relevant pages from Kennard's Kinetic Theory of Gases:

Kinetic Theory of Gases Kennard 1939 pg 292.jpg
Kinetic Theory of Gases Kennard 1939 pg 293.jpg

1. What is the concept of slip length in fluid mechanics?

The slip length refers to the distance between the surface of a solid and the fluid interface, where the fluid velocity is different from the solid surface velocity. In other words, it is the distance at which the flow profile transitions from the no-slip boundary condition to a slip condition.

2. How is slip length related to the shear stress at the fluid-solid interface?

The slip length is directly related to the shear stress at the fluid-solid interface. It is defined by the following equation: u - u_wall = β ∂u/∂n, where u is the fluid velocity, u_wall is the solid surface velocity, and β is the slip length. It represents the difference in velocity between the fluid and the solid surface at the interface.

3. What factors affect the slip length?

The slip length can be affected by various factors such as the fluid properties (viscosity, density), the surface properties of the solid (roughness, surface tension), and the flow conditions (velocity, pressure). Additionally, the slip length can also depend on the type of fluid-solid interaction, such as hydrophobic or hydrophilic surfaces.

4. How is the slip length experimentally determined?

The slip length can be determined experimentally by measuring the fluid velocity profile near the solid surface through techniques such as particle image velocimetry or boundary layer measurements. The difference in velocity between the fluid and the solid surface at the interface can then be used to calculate the slip length.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding slip length in fluid mechanics?

Understanding slip length is crucial in various applications, such as microfluidics, lubrication, and drag reduction. It can also help in designing more efficient surfaces for fluid flow, such as in ship hulls or pipelines, by reducing the drag and increasing the flow rate. Additionally, it can also provide insight into biological systems, where slip length plays a significant role in the movement of fluids in and around cells and tissues.