Boy Loses Contact with Ice Mound: Approximate Solution

• Thread starter kapopka88
  • Start date
In summary, the boy slides down the ice until he loses contact with it. At what height does he lose contact?
kapopka88
A boy is initially seated on the top of a hemispherical ice mound of radius R = 2.6 m. He begins to slide down the ice, with a negligible initial speed (Fig. 8-47). Approximate the ice as being frictionless. At what height does the boy lose contact with the ice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, a classic problem!

What are your ideas to solve it? Can you say what is special about the position or velocity or acceleration at the point that contact is lost?

i really have no idea where to start. the velocity at that point is very small and the acceleration would be positive, the position would be a height less than 2.6 but that's all i can figure out.

Will the velocity really be "very small"? What would "very small" mean?

Before he leaves the ice, how is his acceleration in the radial direction related to his speed? What forces produce this acceleration? (Try drawing a free-body diagram.)

Are all those forces still present at the moment he loses contact?

kapopka88 said:
and the only force acting on the boy is gravity.
After he leaves the ice, yes, but before he leaves there is another force.

oh centripetal force is also acting on him before he looses contact

v=sqrt(2g(r-h))

kapopka88 said:
oh centripetal force is also acting on him before he looses contact
Well, I would call it the normal force of the ice on the boy.

kapopka88 said:
v=sqrt(2g(r-h))
Yes. (Can you explain why this equation is valid?)

So, you have one relation between v and h.

At the moment he loses contact, the normal force of the ice on the boy is zero. So, his centripetal acceleration must be produced by the force of ? And the component of that force in the radial direction is ? (Why do we want the component in the radial direction?)

That's a sloppy way of saying it. I would say the centripetal acceleration is produced by the force of gravity. It's best not to confuse cause (force) with effect (acceleration).

so, centripetal force =0, so gravity must produce his centripetal acceleration. how do we find the radial component with no angle?

i set the centripetal force equal to gravity to solve for v, then plugged v into my first equation to get height but that was not right.

kapopka88 said:
so, centripetal force =0, so gravity must produce his centripetal acceleration. how do we find the radial component with no angle?
There is an angle; the boy has moved off the top, and now a line from him to the center of the sphere makes an angle theta with respect to vertical. How is this angle related to h and R?

kapopka88 said:
i set the centripetal force equal to gravity to solve for v, then plugged v into my first equation to get height but that was not right.
Show your work!

sin(theta)=h/r

so, so far i have F=mv^2/R, v=sqrt(2g(r-h)), and sin(x)=h/r

What is F?

the magnitude of the centripetal force

And that should be equal to ?

No, sorry. I think you need to find someone locally who can help you with some basics. (A force is not going to be equal to a length ...)

1. What is "Boy Loses Contact with Ice Mound: Approximate Solution"?

"Boy Loses Contact with Ice Mound: Approximate Solution" is a scientific phenomenon that describes the loss of physical contact between a boy and an ice mound, and the approximate solution to this problem.

2. What causes a boy to lose contact with an ice mound?

The most common cause of a boy losing contact with an ice mound is due to the melting of the ice caused by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

3. How is the approximate solution determined?

The approximate solution is determined through scientific calculations and observations of the various factors that contribute to the loss of contact. These include the rate of melting, the weight of the boy, and the stability of the ice mound.

4. Is there a way to prevent a boy from losing contact with an ice mound?

While it is difficult to completely prevent a boy from losing contact with an ice mound, there are measures that can be taken such as reinforcing the ice mound or limiting the weight placed on it. However, these solutions may not be foolproof and the best approach is to avoid placing oneself in such a situation.

5. Can the approximate solution be applied to other situations?

Yes, the approximate solution can be applied to other situations where a similar phenomenon occurs, such as the loss of contact with other slippery surfaces due to melting or other external factors. However, the specific calculations and observations may vary depending on the situation.