Calculating the Distance a Box Moves on a Moving Belt Without Slipping

In summary, the question asks for the distance a box will move on a conveyor belt before it stops slipping. The box is dropped onto the belt moving at 1.7 m/s with a coefficient of friction of 0.7. The formula used to solve for the distance is d = Vot - 0.5at^2, where a is the acceleration responsible for moving the box. The calculated distance is 0.2106 m. The conversation also discusses the horizontal force needed to move the box and the relationship between force, acceleration, and velocity.
Xamfy19
I have no clue how to start solving the question as follows:
A box is dropped onto a conveyor belt moving at 1.7 m/s. If the coefficient of friction between the box adn the belt is 0.7, what distance doest the box move before it moves without slipping? (g = 9.8 m/s)

What is the horizontal force to move the box on the belt?

Thanks alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the horizontal force to move the box on the belt?
Friction.

Why it stop slipping? How should I start my formula? Thanks

What does an object do when a force acts on it?

acceleration

It should create acceleration. Now, I have just tried to solve it and the following is the formula I used.

mg(0.7) = ma, a = 6.86. I assumed this was the acceleration responsible for moving box. Then, I use V = Vo - at
0 = 1.7 - 6.86t, t = 0.2478, substituted into d = Vot - 0.5 a t^2,
d= 1.7t - 0.5 * 6.86 * (0.2478)^2
= 0.2106 m
Is there anything (step) I missed or made mistake?

Thanks alot

Looks OK to me.

Although I would have written
vf = v0 + at
and let v0=0 and vf=1.7 m/s

Then d = 0 + .5at2

Gives the same answer.

1. What is the cause of slipping in a moving belt?

The cause of slipping in a moving belt is usually due to a loss of friction between the belt and the object being transported. This can be caused by various factors such as an uneven or worn surface on the belt, excessive weight on the belt, or inadequate tension in the belt.

2. How can slipping in a moving belt be prevented?

To prevent slipping in a moving belt, it is important to maintain proper tension in the belt and ensure that the surface of the belt is even and free from any defects. Adding a rough surface or grip material to the belt can also increase friction and prevent slipping.

3. What are the potential dangers of slipping in a moving belt?

Slipping in a moving belt can be dangerous for both the object being transported and for workers in the vicinity. It can cause damage to the object, disrupt the production process, and potentially cause injuries to workers who may be in close proximity to the belt.

4. Can slipping in a moving belt be fixed without stopping the belt?

In some cases, slipping in a moving belt can be fixed without stopping the belt. This can be done by adjusting the tension in the belt or adding grip materials to the surface. However, if the issue cannot be resolved quickly, it is recommended to stop the belt for safety reasons.

5. How can slipping in a moving belt be detected?

Slipping in a moving belt can be detected by monitoring the speed of the belt. If the belt is moving faster or slower than it should be, it may be a sign of slipping. Additionally, visual inspections of the belt and regular maintenance checks can help identify any potential slipping issues.