Slit Diffraction in Water: Solving for the Distance Between Dark Fringes

In summary, the conversation discussed the effect of immersing a single-slit diffraction apparatus in water with index of refraction 1.33. The question asked for the distance between the two dark fringes on either side of the central bright fringe. The equation for dark fringes in single-slit diffraction was mentioned, where m = 1 and a = y. The conversation also touched on the concept that the wavelength of light depends on the index of refraction of the medium, which was a concept studied earlier. It was concluded that the index of refraction depends on the speed of light in the particular medium.
sghaussi
slit diffraction in water?

Hello! I'm having trouble answer this homework problem:

Suppose the entire apparatus (light of wavelength X nm from a distant source is incident on a slit Y mm wide, and the resulting diffraction pattern is observed on a screen Z m away) is immersed in water (n=1.33).

Then what is the distance between the two dark fringes on either side of the central bright fringe?

I know what I want to use the equation for Dark fringes in single-slit diffraction:
sin(theta) = m*lamda/a

in my case, m = 1
and a = y

I'm not sure how to solve this problem now that the entire apparatus is immersed in water? I know water affects this, but how? Can you help me start this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
How does the wavelength of light depend on the index of refraction of the medium?

thanks! i knew it was a concept I had studied a few chaptes earlier but it completely slipped my mind. that's right, index of refraction depends on c and hte speed of light in that particular medium! =)

1. What is slit diffraction in water?

Slit diffraction in water is a phenomenon in which water waves passing through a narrow slit diffract, or spread out, as they travel through the water. This is similar to the way light waves diffract when passing through a narrow slit.

2. How does slit diffraction in water occur?

Slit diffraction in water occurs due to the interference of water waves as they pass through the slit. The waves that pass through the slit spread out and interfere with each other, creating a pattern of alternating crests and troughs.

3. What factors affect slit diffraction in water?

The factors that affect slit diffraction in water include the width and shape of the slit, the wavelength of the water waves, and the depth and temperature of the water. These factors can all impact the interference and diffraction patterns that are created.

4. Can slit diffraction in water be observed in real life?

Yes, slit diffraction in water can be observed in real life. This phenomenon can be seen in natural bodies of water, such as rivers and lakes, as well as in controlled experiments using tanks of water and slits of varying sizes.

5. What is the practical application of studying slit diffraction in water?

Studying slit diffraction in water has practical applications in fields such as oceanography, acoustics, and fluid dynamics. It can also help us better understand the behavior of waves and their interactions with different environments.