1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slit diffraction in water?

1. May 13, 2005 #1
    slit diffraction in water???

Hello! I'm having trouble answer this hw problem:

Suppose the entire apparatus (light of wavelength X nm from a distant source is incident on a slit Y mm wide, and the resulting diffraction pattern is observed on a screen Z m away) is immersed in water (n=1.33).

Then what is the distance between the two dark fringes on either side of the central bright fringe?

I know what I want to use the equation for Dark fringes in single-slit diffraction:
    sin(theta) = m*lamda/a

in my case, m = 1
    and a = y

I'm not sure how to solve this problem now that the entire apparatus is immersed in water? I know water affects this, but how? Can you help me start this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How does the wavelength of light depend on the index of refraction of the medium?

4. May 13, 2005 #3
    thanks! i knew it was a concept I had studied a few chaptes earlier but it completely slipped my mind. that's right, index of refraction depends on c and hte speed of light in that particular medium!! =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?