Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Slit diffraction in water?

1. May 13, 2005 #1
    slit diffraction in water???

Hello! I'm having trouble answer this hw problem:

Suppose the entire apparatus (light of wavelength X nm from a distant source is incident on a slit Y mm wide, and the resulting diffraction pattern is observed on a screen Z m away) is immersed in water (n=1.33).

Then what is the distance between the two dark fringes on either side of the central bright fringe?

I know what I want to use the equation for Dark fringes in single-slit diffraction:
    sin(theta) = m*lamda/a

in my case, m = 1
    and a = y

I'm not sure how to solve this problem now that the entire apparatus is immersed in water? I know water affects this, but how? Can you help me start this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How does the wavelength of light depend on the index of refraction of the medium?

4. May 13, 2005 #3
    thanks! i knew it was a concept I had studied a few chaptes earlier but it completely slipped my mind. that's right, index of refraction depends on c and hte speed of light in that particular medium!! =)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook