Slit experiment maxima

In summary, Monochromatic light shining through a pair of thin parallel slits will produce an interference pattern on a screen at a distance. The width of each slit is important, with a width of 1/7 the center-to-center distance between the slits. In this pattern, certain interference maxima will appear to be missing. This is because the diffraction pattern for a single slit also exists and overlaps with the double slit pattern. The maxima that are missing are actually being canceled out by the minima created by the single slit pattern. This occurs at the same angle as the maximums in the double slit pattern. The wavelength of the light does not affect this result, as it is not numerically important. Changing the wavelength
Punkyc7
Monochromatic light illuminates a pair of thin parallel slits at normal incidence, producing an interference pattern on a distant screen. The width of each slit is 1/7 the center-to-center distance between the slits.

Which interference maxima are missing in the pattern on the screen?

every first will cancel
every 3rd will cancel
every 5th will cancel
every 7th will cancel
every 9th will cancel

Im leaning towards the seventh but why does the maxima just disappear? Shoulnt the maxima still be a maxima?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, that the diffraction pattern for a single slit gives us a series of minimas at quantum points in the pattern. This pattern does not go away when a second slit is introduced into the equation. The minimas produces by the single slit will in fact occur at the same angle as every so many maximums produced by the double slit diffraction pattern.

for maxima, [itex]\delta[/itex]sin[itex]\theta[/itex]=n [itex]\lambda[/itex]

and for minima [itex]\alpha[/itex]sin[itex]\theta[/itex]=n[itex]\lambda[/itex]

where [itex]\alpha[/itex]=[itex]\delta[/itex]/7

does that help?

Ok but how does a maxima disappear, shouldn't they be evely spaced apart? Are we considering the distance between the slit where a single slit would be open?

Punkyc7 said:
Ok but how does a maxima disappear, shouldn't they be evely spaced apart? Are we considering the distance between the slit where a single slit would be open?

The maxima does not disappear - it was never there to start with.
OR
The maxima are missing, they have not disappeared.

The double slit interference comes about from the "interaction" of the two, overlapping, single slit patterns.

Think like this:

For the single slit pattern, the central bright band may be 5 cm wide on the screen. on each side is a 5 mm band of nothing, this is flanked by couple of bands 4 cm wide, then 5 mm bands of nothing etc etc [I am not interested here in actual widths of band - just the concept that there are bands].

With the second slit present, the interference pattern means that there should now be alternating bright and dark bands "evenly spaced" as you said. Suppose they are are each 2mm wide, with a 1 mm gap between them.

There will be 12-15 of them spread across the previous central broad band. the next one or two won't be there because they "should" have been in a position where the single slit diffraction patterns didn't produce any light anyway. Then comes another bunch of bands [across the secondary maxima] then one or two more missing, then some more in the tertiary maxima etc, etc.

This explanation was intended as a conceptual/pictorial description, not some analytic numerical specification.

Peter

Consider the single slit experiment. You get a series of minima as a result, right? When you add a second slit, the single slit result doesn't go away. Rather it rules over the double slit phenomenon and makes it its slave. If you do the math, you'll find that the value of theta will coincide on a regular basis for both the minima produced by the size of the single slit and the maxima produced by the size of the double slit. Solve each equation for theta and set them equal. You will see why your intuition is correct.

So what this question is asking is when will the minimum for the single slit the same as the maximum for the double slit. So that would mean that the it doesn't matter what wavelenght.

If that is correct than I think I understand it

Punkyc7 said:
So what this question is asking is when will the minimum for the single slit the same as the maximum for the double slit. So that would mean that the it doesn't matter what wavelenght.

If that is correct than I think I understand it

If the wavelength had been numerically important, you would have been given it. The fact that there was only one wavelength [monochromatic light] was vital.Peter

why is that?

Punkyc7 said:
why is that?

I re-read, and found it less unusual and a legitimate way of seeing the problem - thus my edit.

Peter

What Petero is trying to say is that the wavelength does not matter in this particular solution. " It is not numerically important"
You are correct in thinking that this problem is true for all lambda.

So if it is not depenedent on the wave length if you change the wave length would the missing maximum occur in the same spot. I am thinking it wouldn't but i want to be sure

Punkyc7 said:
So if it is not depenedent on the wave length if you change the wave length would the missing maximum occur in the same spot. I am thinking it wouldn't but i want to be sure

Correct, it should still be the nth maximum that is missing, it is just that the nth maximum would have been expected in a different place.

Peter

What is the Slit Experiment?

The Slit Experiment, also known as the Double Slit Experiment, is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

What are the maxima in the Slit Experiment?

The maxima in the Slit Experiment refer to the bright bands of light that appear on the screen where the waves from each slit overlap and interfere constructively. These maxima occur at regular intervals and are evidence of the wave-like nature of light.

Why do maxima occur in the Slit Experiment?

Maxima occur in the Slit Experiment because of the principle of superposition, which states that when two waves meet, their amplitudes are added together. In the case of the Slit Experiment, the waves from each slit interfere constructively at certain points, resulting in bright maxima.

How do the maxima change in the Slit Experiment?

The maxima in the Slit Experiment change depending on the distance between the slits and the screen, as well as the wavelength of the light being used. As these variables change, the interference pattern will shift, resulting in a different pattern of maxima and minima.

What does the Slit Experiment tell us about the nature of light?

The Slit Experiment is a significant demonstration of the wave-particle duality of light, which means that light can behave as both a wave and a particle. The interference pattern produced by the experiment shows that light has wave properties, while the detection of individual particles at the screen shows that it also has particle properties.