1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slit grating problem

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    1. With light from a gaseous discharge tube incident normally on a grating with slit separation 2.23 μm, sharp maxima for a certain wavelength of light are produced at angles θ = -17.1° and +17.1°. Compute the wavelength of the light in nanometers.

2. I thought this would work... (wavelength) = d * sin θ, but it turns out its a bit more complicated, i cant find anything in my books to describe a situation like this or how to solve it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2008 #2
    I would think the equation you mentioned [tex]n \lambda = d sin\theta[/tex] would work. The only think I can think of is that the problem seems to imply that there is no central maximum, meaning that for [tex]\theta =0[/tex] the superimposed waves destrucively interfere. In that case, I think you use [tex]n(\lambda + 1/2) = d sin\theta[/tex] , but I'm not sure about that.
  4. Mar 29, 2008 #3
    It seems to me that there are not enough information to solve the question. A maxima is formed from a double slit when the difference between the distance from each slit to a point is a multiple of the wavelength. If the light is coherent and basically the same, there should be a zeroth order maxima between the slits.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?