Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Slit grating problem

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    1. With light from a gaseous discharge tube incident normally on a grating with slit separation 2.23 μm, sharp maxima for a certain wavelength of light are produced at angles θ = -17.1° and +17.1°. Compute the wavelength of the light in nanometers.

2. I thought this would work... (wavelength) = d * sin θ, but it turns out its a bit more complicated, i cant find anything in my books to describe a situation like this or how to solve it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2008 #2
    I would think the equation you mentioned [tex]n \lambda = d sin\theta[/tex] would work. The only think I can think of is that the problem seems to imply that there is no central maximum, meaning that for [tex]\theta =0[/tex] the superimposed waves destrucively interfere. In that case, I think you use [tex]n(\lambda + 1/2) = d sin\theta[/tex] , but I'm not sure about that.

4. Mar 29, 2008 #3
    It seems to me that there are not enough information to solve the question. A maxima is formed from a double slit when the difference between the distance from each slit to a point is a multiple of the wavelength. If the light is coherent and basically the same, there should be a zeroth order maxima between the slits.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook