1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slope and Special Lines

1. Nov 2, 2005 #1
    Write an equation of a line with a slope of 0 and passing through the point (5,4).

Write an equation of a line with an undefined slope and passing through the point (-2,4).

I know how to do this type of thing but these two questions have stumped me.

If the slope of the first one is zero, it'll be a horizontal line. That means the equation will look something like this: y= some number right?

If so, what do I do with the (5, 4)? Do I just graph that point and see where it is as far as y goes? If that's what I'm to do...*Looks at a graph* y= 4? Now that I think about it, I didn't need the graph so that either means it's really easy or really wrong.:rofl:

As for the second one, if the slope is undefined it would be vertical and would look like this: x= some number. Would it be the same way, again, assuming I did the first one right? x= -2?

EDIT: Write an equation of a line that passes through (9,-5) and (3,-5).

The slope is 0/-6, right? Does that make it undefined or 0? I can't tell the difference. What if the answer was -6/0? Which would that be?

As for writing the equation, it would be x or y, whichever it is according to whether it's undefined or zero...y/x = Aw, geez, I don't even know how to go about this one...

Write an equation of a line that passes through the points (2,3) and (2,-6).

slope = -9/0

I have two points...so, what I would do is...hm, would graphing them help me or not?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2

verty

Homework Helper

Your answers are correct. So maths can be simple...

4. Nov 2, 2005 #3
    Thanks.:smile:

I suppose I was a bit late with my edit...:rofl:

Write an equation of a line that passes through (9,-5) and (3,-5).

The slope is 0/-6, right? Does that make it undefined or 0? I can't tell the difference. What if the answer was -6/0? Which would that be?

As for writing the equation, it would be x or y, whichever it is according to whether it's undefined or zero...y/x = Aw, geez, I don't even know how to go about this one...*Pulls out her notes* I can't find anything referring to this type of problem...Method 1: If you are given the equation of the line, put the equation in slope intercept form. Nope, that's not it. Method 2: If you are given the graph of the equation, count the change in y and the change in x on the graph paper to determine the slope. Nope, not right either. Method 3: Nope, that only shows how to find the slope (I used method three for this one...) but it doesn't show what to do next...

Write an equation of a line that passes through the points (2,3) and (2,-6).

slope = -9/0

I have two points...so, what I would do is...hm, would graphing them help me or not?

5. Nov 2, 2005 #4

verty

Homework Helper

Look at the points. What do you see?

6. Nov 2, 2005 #5
    I don't know...I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing. I've looked at them already so if I wasn't seeing it before I'm not seeing it now.:shy: :rofl:

7. Nov 2, 2005 #6
    Never mind, got it. ^_^

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?