1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slope of a function.

1. Aug 1, 2012 #1
    If there is an equation for a curve, its derivative will be the slope of the tangent.
    Also, the derivative of a function is the limit of its slope.

What I understand from this is that (slope of tangent)=(limit of the same slope)

But this is wrong (right?). Please explain the mistake here.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The derivative is the limit of the difference quotient. You can call this limit the slope. I have no idea what you mean by 'limit of the slope'.

4. Aug 1, 2012 #3
    Even so, I still can't understand the mistake I made.

5. Aug 1, 2012 #4
    You're not taking the limit of the slope of tangent lines. You're taking the limit of the slope of secant lines. The secant line between points A and B has a slope that, in the limit that A and B come together, is the tangent line slope.

6. Aug 1, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What mistake? The limit of the derivative is not necessarily the derivative of the limit, which is the best way I can think of to make sense of your question. Take x^2*sin(1/x^2). It has a derivative at x=0. The limit of the derivative as x->0 doesn't exist.

7. Aug 2, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your mistake is talking about the "slope" of a function at all. "Slope" is only defined for lines. If a function is linear, then its graph is a straight line and so its graph (not the function) has a slope. If a function is not linear, then its graph is NOT a straight line and neither the graph nor the function has a "slope". We can, at each point, draw a line tangent to the graph and talk about its slope.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook