Calculating Slope: Solving a Real-World Problem

• Thread starter AngelShare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary, the person discussing the problem is checking their answer before turning it in. They ask if the slope of a line can be found by estimating the horizontal distance and provide their calculations for the slope. Another person comments on the lack of units for the slope since the rise and run are both in feet. They also mention that the website looks good.
AngelShare
I haven't done this yet (Yeah, I know I should have at my age but the last time I did it in class with proper practice was at least 3 years ago so, thankfully, this will be like review.) so I wanted to check my answer before turning it in...

If we were to estimate the horizontal distance for this hill as 306 ft. could you find the slope of the line? To answer this question, you need to remember that the slope of a line is defined as the "rise over the run."

Okay, the rise would be the vertical measurement while the run would be the horizontal right? If so, the rise is 318 feet while the run would be 306 feet.

m = 318/306
m = 1.0392 feet?

Physics news on Phys.org
looks good to me

You didn't give us the vertical distance stated in your problem, so we are deducing it was given to you as 318 feet. Your ratio is okay, but there's no units to this slope, feet/feet cancel..

Last edited:
Well, I said if the rise is the vertical measurement and the run is the horizontal, the rise would be 318 while the run is 306. Why, if the rise and run are in feet, is there no unit of measurement?

(Wow, the site is lookin' good.:biggrin: )

AngelShare said:
Well, I said if the rise is the vertical measurement and the run is the horizontal, the rise would be 318 while the run is 306. Why, if the rise and run are in feet, is there no unit of measurement?
(Wow, the site is lookin' good.:biggrin: )

There are no units for slope because a foot divided by a foot is 1. The slope is
[tex] \frac{318 \times 1 foot}{ 306 \times 1 foot} [/tex]
The one foot and one foot cancel out.

1. How do I calculate slope?

To calculate slope, you need to know the change in the vertical (y) direction and the change in the horizontal (x) direction between two points on a line. The slope is equal to the change in y divided by the change in x, also known as rise over run.

2. What is the formula for calculating slope?

The formula for calculating slope is m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are two points on the line.

3. How do I apply slope to solve a real-world problem?

To solve a real-world problem using slope, you need to first identify the variables involved and what they represent in the problem. Then, use the formula for slope to calculate the rate of change between two points and apply it to the problem to find a solution.

4. What are some common real-world applications of slope?

Slope is commonly applied in fields such as engineering, physics, and geography to analyze and predict rates of change. It can be used to calculate the steepness of a hill, the speed of a moving object, or the growth rate of a population.

5. How can I check if my calculated slope is correct?

You can check if your calculated slope is correct by verifying if it satisfies the properties of slope. These include: the slope of a horizontal line is 0, the slope of a vertical line is undefined, and lines with the same slope are parallel. You can also graph the line using the calculated slope and points to visually check if it is correct.