1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slope of a line

1. Nov 13, 2005 #1
    I haven't done this yet (Yeah, I know I should have at my age but the last time I did it in class with proper practice was at least 3 years ago so, thankfully, this will be like review.) so I wanted to check my answer before turning it in...

If we were to estimate the horizontal distance for this hill as 306 ft. could you find the slope of the line? To answer this question, you need to remember that the slope of a line is defined as the "rise over the run."

Okay, the rise would be the vertical measurement while the run would be the horizontal right? If so, the rise is 318 feet while the run would be 306 feet.

m = 318/306
    m = 1.0392 feet?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2005 #2
    looks good to me

4. Nov 14, 2005 #3

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You didn't give us the vertical distance stated in your problem, so we are deducing it was given to you as 318 feet. Your ratio is okay, but there's no units to this slope, feet/feet cancel..

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  5. Nov 15, 2005 #4
    Well, I said if the rise is the vertical measurement and the run is the horizontal, the rise would be 318 while the run is 306. Why, if the rise and run are in feet, is there no unit of measurement?

(Wow, the site is lookin' good.:biggrin: )

6. Nov 16, 2005 #5

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are no units for slope because a foot divided by a foot is 1. The slope is
    [tex] \frac{318 \times 1 foot}{ 306 \times 1 foot} [/tex]
    The one foot and one foot cancel out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?