What does the slope of a semilog plot indicate?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment with charging and discharging a capacitor in a RC circuit and plotting the data on a semilogarithmic paper. The formula for calculating the slope of the curve is given, and the conversation then delves into proving the slope and discussing the relationship between the semilog paper and the equation. The instructor mentions that the explanation given is incomplete and hints at finding the relationship between the semi-log paper and the equation. The conversation ends with a question about the meaning of the slope on a semilog paper.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
We had an experiment of charging and dicharging a capacitor in a RC circuit.Our instructor asked us to plot our data in a semilogarithmic paper.Then told us the formula of calculating the slope of such a curve.It was:
[itex] \frac {[the vertical distance between two points measured by a ruler]*2.3}{the distance of two successive ones]*[the difference of the two ponit's independent variables]}[/itex]
then asked us two prove that what is this slope I did the following:
[itex]\frac{log \frac{i_{2}}{i_{1}} *ln{10}}{\Delta t}=\frac{ln{i_{2}}ln{i_{1}}}{\Delta t}[/itex]
And we have [itex] ln{i} = ln{\frac{\Epsilon}{R}}-\frac{t}{RC}[/itex]
So we get that the slope is -1/RC.
But the instructor says this proof is incomplete.What's the problem?Can you tell what quantity does this slope idicate?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Could it be the bit where you measure with a ruler?
Why is the delta-y of the slope 2.3 times the ruler distance?

Other than that you seem to have related the slope of ln(i) vs t properly.
Unless he wants you to explicitly find the derivative?

Tips:
you can write text inside the tex box by using \text{}
you can write the natural logarithm as \ln(i_1) etc.
The upper-case epsilon in just E

Ok.forget my first post's mess.
I just want to know if I find the slope of the straight line in a semilog paper,what quantity does it mean.For example if I plot the formula
[itex] y=a e^{b x} [/itex]
On a semilog paper and get a straight line,what will be the slope of that line?
thanks

Last edited:
When you plot [itex]y=ae^{bx}[/itex] on semi-log paper, the values on the vertical axis are not [itex]\ln(y)[/itex] are they?

You are actually plotting values of y, and adjusting the spacing to account for the logarithm.

The slope of ln(y) vs x will be b... which you know.

You have not been told you are wrong exactly, but that your explanation is incomplete. - what you are missing is the relationship between the semi-log paper and this equation. (That and maybe making the relationship between the derivative and the analytic equation for a line explicit.)

Remember: this is an exercise you have been set: I am not supposed to do it for you. Ergo: I cannot just give you the answer. I have to try to guide you to the answer, from the information you give me. If you want to know exactly what your instructor means, you'll have to ask him.

Shyan said:
Ok.forget my first post's mess.
I just want to know if I find the slope of the straight line in a semilog paper,what quantity does it mean.For example if I plot the formula
[itex] y=a e^{b x} [/itex]
On a semilog paper and get a straight line,what will be the slope of that line?
thanks
You could plot a few curves on your semilog paper, e.g., y=e0.3x, y=e0.6x and y=2e0.3x and see how these turn out.

What is the slope of a semilog plot?

The slope of a semilog plot is a measure of the rate of change of the logarithmic function plotted on the y-axis with respect to the linear function plotted on the x-axis.

How do you calculate the slope of a semilog plot?

The slope of a semilog plot can be calculated by finding the change in y-values divided by the change in x-values between two points on the plot. This is also known as the rise over run method.

What does a positive slope on a semilog plot indicate?

A positive slope on a semilog plot indicates that the logarithmic function is increasing at a faster rate than the linear function. This can also be interpreted as exponential growth.

What does a negative slope on a semilog plot indicate?

A negative slope on a semilog plot indicates that the logarithmic function is decreasing at a faster rate than the linear function. This can also be interpreted as exponential decay.

Can the slope of a semilog plot be used to make predictions?

Yes, the slope of a semilog plot can be used to make predictions about the behavior of the plotted function. For example, a steeper slope indicates a faster rate of change and a flatter slope indicates a slower rate of change.