Question: What is the slope of the curve y= (1/x-1) at x=2?

• Thread starter rafay233
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary, the conversation is about finding the slope of a curve at a specific point. The equation given is y= (1/x-1) and the point is x=2. The correct approach is to take the derivative of the function and calculate the limit, which gives the answer -1. The conversation also includes a brief tutorial on using LaTeX to display math equations.
rafay233

Homework Statement

Question: Find the slope of the curve at the indicated point.

y= (1/x-1) at x=2

Homework Equations

Don't know what relevant questions mean.

The Attempt at a Solution

(y(x+h) - y(x))/(x+h)-h
( (1/x-1 + h) - (1/x-1) )/h
( (1/2-1 + h) - (1/2-1) )/h
( (1+h) - (1) )/h
h/h=1

the problem is the book says it should be -1.
Help anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be careful when writing math online. What you wrote as y= (1/x-1) implies [itex]y = \frac{1}{x} - 1[/itex]. I suspect you meant to write [itex]y = \frac{1}{x-1}[/itex] as that function gives the correct answer.

You plugged in values wrong right from the start which is why your answer is wrong. Let's rewrite your function as [itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{x-1}[/itex]. Now you need to compute [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}[/itex]. Now, what does [itex]f(x+h)[/itex] equal? Remember, you need to plug in the value (x+h) where ever you see an x.

I made a mistake on the tex look at the next reply.

Well this question is fairly simple, all you have to do is take the derivative of the equation:

[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{x-1}[/tex] and then calculate the limit:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow2}f'(x)[/tex] and you should get the same answer that your textbook has.

Ps: the derivative is the slope of the tangent line at a certain point.

could you guys tell me what you are using to make the fractions look like that? So no one gets confused?

rafay233 said:
could you guys tell me what you are using to make the fractions look like that? So no one gets confused?

We are using a code called LaTeX, it makes all the math look pretty and readable.

I can give a quick little tutorial for fractions but to learn everything I'll redirect you to a website.

So, first of all, you must use TAGS to show that you want to type in code. The tags are
Code:
[itex][/itex]
. Everything between the tags will be put into code. What's nice about this forum is that if you see a pretty looking formula that was coded in LaTeX, you can right click on it and select Show Math As -> TeX commands to see what the code is. Try it out for ours above.

For basic fractions the code is
Code:
[itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex]
which will look like: [itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex]. Everything you put in the first set of brackets will go in the numerator, everything in the second will go in the denominator. You can even do fractions in fractions:
Code:
[itex]\frac{\frac{c}{d}}{b}[/itex]
= [itex]\frac{\frac{c}{d}}{b}[/itex].

To learn more if you want, try these two sites out:

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Wiki/index.php/LaTeX:Symbols
http://detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html

Last edited by a moderator:
k thnks and btw i got the answere :D

1. What is the slope of y= (1/x-1) at x=2?

The slope of y= (1/x-1) at x=2 is equal to 1/4.

2. How do you calculate the slope of a function at a specific point?

To calculate the slope of a function at a specific point, you must use the formula m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are the coordinates of the given point on the function.

3. Can the slope of a function at a specific point be negative?

Yes, the slope of a function at a specific point can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point.

4. How does the value of x affect the slope of a function?

The value of x does not directly affect the slope of a function. However, when calculating the slope at a specific point, the value of x is used to find the coordinates of two points on the function, which are then used in the slope formula.

5. What does the slope of a function represent?

The slope of a function represents the rate of change of the function at a specific point. It can also be interpreted as the steepness of the function at that point.