Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Slope of tangent

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    show that the tangent line to the curve y=x^3 at any point (a,a^3) meets the curve again at a point where the slope is four times the slop at (a,a^3).

2. Relevant equations
    y=3x^2, point slope formula

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not really sure where to begin. A hint should be enough.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2
    Can you find the equation of the tangent line at a?

4. Dec 7, 2011 #3
    That would be, y=3a^2?

5. Dec 7, 2011 #4
    No, where in earth did you get that?? A tangent line is a line. Its equation must contain an x and a y variable.

6. Dec 7, 2011 #5
    Not sure what you are asking for. Could you clarify?

7. Dec 7, 2011 #6
    I'm asking for the equation of the tangent line at the curve. How do you find the tangent line at a curve?? What is the slope of such a tangent line??

8. Dec 7, 2011 #7

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Do you know what the equation of a line, perhaps with slope m and passing through point [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] looks like?

9. Dec 7, 2011 #8
    I got y=3a^2*x -2a^3 for the tangent line. Is that alright?

10. Dec 7, 2011 #9
    The equation of a line is y = m x + b. You need to find the right slope m and intercept b that will make the line be the right one that is tangent and touches a certain point.

11. Dec 7, 2011 #10
    Yes, I do have an idea how it may look like. A straight line touching the curve and then intersecting the function at some other point where the slope is four times the value of the tangent line.

12. Dec 7, 2011 #11

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The scary thing is that you think that answers my question. I asked about what the equation looks like and you said nothing about an equation.

13. Dec 7, 2011 #12
    Well, that means that I misunderstood your question. I think this thread has had a bad start. Thank you.

14. Dec 7, 2011 #13

eumyang

Homework Helper

This is correct. Now find out where else does this line intersect with y = x3. Set the two right hand sides equal to each other and solve for x (treating a as a constant).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook