Slope Problem: Need Help with a Difficult Equation?

For x direction, use x=ut+1/2at^2. Remember, there is no coupling between the two directions. In summary, the conversation discusses finding equations for position and velocity as a function of time, specifically for the y direction. The equations of motion, such as SUVAT, can be used to find the acceleration for part B by decomposing the motion into x and y directions. Two equations must be used in the y direction due to the presence of two unknown variables, while the x direction equation is simply x=ut+1/2at^2.
megaly
OP warned about not having made an attempt at a solution
Homework Statement
A track meet is held on a planet in a distant solar system. A shot-putter releases a shot at a point 2.0 m above ground level. A stroboscopic plot of the position of the shot is shown in the figure, where the readings are 0.56 s apart and the shot is released at time t = 0.

(a) What is the initial velocity of the shot in unit-vector notation?

(b) What is the magnitude of the free-fall acceleration on the planet?

(c) How long after it is released does the shot reach the ground?

(d) If an identical throw of the shot is made on the surface of Earth, how long after it is released does it reach the ground?
Relevant Equations
F=ma
Im really stuck with this problem ! any help would be much appreciated

Attachments

• fig04_64.gif
    fig04_64.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 304
Physics news on Phys.org
There are more relevant equations. What are the equations for position and velocity as a function of time?

DrClaude said:
There are more relevant equations. What are the equations for position and velocity as a function of time?

you mean the vertical equations ? SUVAT ?

megaly said:
you mean the vertical equations ? SUVAT ?
The equations of motion, so SUVAT will do.

S=ut+1/2at^2? can that find the acceleration for part B? what confuses me most is unit vector notation I don't understand how you put in into that form

megaly said:
S=ut+1/2at^2? can that find the acceleration for part B? what confuses me most is unit vector notation I don't understand how you put in into that form
Decompose the motion into x and y. (There is no coupling between the two.)

Because you have two unknown variables, you have to list two equations using basic physics formula for y direction. (simultaneous equation)
megaly said:
This form is for y direction.

1. What is slope and why is it important?

Slope is a measure of the steepness of a line. It is important because it allows us to quantify how much a line is rising or falling and helps us understand the relationship between two variables in a linear equation.

2. How do I find the slope of a line?

The slope of a line can be found by using the formula "rise over run", which is the change in the y-coordinates divided by the change in the x-coordinates. You can also find the slope by looking at the coefficient of the x-term in a linear equation in the form y = mx + b.

3. What is the equation for slope?

The equation for slope can be written as m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are two points on the line.

4. How can I solve a slope problem with a difficult equation?

The first step is to simplify the equation as much as possible by combining like terms and moving all constants to one side. Then, use the slope formula to find the slope of the line. Finally, plug the slope and one point from the line into the slope-intercept form (y = mx + b) to find the y-intercept (b). This will give you the equation of the line in slope-intercept form, which can then be used to solve the problem.

5. Can slope be negative?

Yes, slope can be negative. A negative slope indicates that the line is decreasing as it moves from left to right on the graph. This means that the y-values are getting smaller as the x-values are getting larger.