Lowering an Egg in Under 5 Min

• Thread starter eggthing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Egg
In summary: Hey my name is Andy and I'm a student at UW-Milwaukee where I'm studying Physics. I have a project right now that I need a little help with. What would you guys do if you had to lower an egg to the ground in the slowest time possible from an approximate hieght of 8ft. It can not exceed 5 min in time.Thank youAndyThe egg would be lowered by using a pulley, a second identical egg (or weight), a rope and 2 harnesses and a slow, precise, electric motor, all configured as a standard elevator. If needed, a mechanical speed regulator - as the egg drops, it spins a gadget. When the gadget spins
eggthing
Hey my name is Andy and I'm a student at UW-Milwaukee where I'm studying Physics. I have a project right now that I need a little help with. What would you guys do if you had to lower an egg to the ground in the slowest time possible from an approximate hieght of 8ft. It can not exceed 5 min in time.
Thank you
Andy

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd put an elastic bed just onto the ground. Once the egg has fallen on the bed, I'd put it on the ground in the smaller time possible. :biggrin: Gravity plays the rest.

eggthing said:
Hey my name is Andy and I'm a student at UW-Milwaukee where I'm studying Physics. I have a project right now that I need a little help with. What would you guys do if you had to lower an egg to the ground in the slowest time possible from an approximate hieght of 8ft. It can not exceed 5 min in time.
Thank you
Andy

A pulley, a second identical egg (or weight), a rope and 2 harnesses and a slow, precise, electric motor, all configured as a standard elevator.

eggthing said:
Thank you
Andy

A mechanical speed regulator - as the egg drops, it spins a gadget. When the gadget spins slowly, a mechanical brake is disengated. When the gadget spins quickly, a mechancical brake is engaged. Centripetal forces, acting against either a spring or a weight, activate the braking system, so that it can't spin over a certain rate.

1. How can I lower an egg in under 5 minutes?

To lower an egg in under 5 minutes, you will need a container filled with water and a hard-boiled egg. Place the egg gently in the water and start a timer for 5 minutes. Use a spoon to continuously turn the egg in the water to ensure even cooking and prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the container. After 5 minutes, carefully remove the egg from the water and let it cool before peeling.

2. What is the purpose of lowering an egg in under 5 minutes?

The purpose of lowering an egg in under 5 minutes is to quickly cook the egg without boiling it. This method is often used in recipes that call for soft-boiled or medium-boiled eggs, as it allows for a runny yolk and firm whites in a shorter amount of time.

3. Can I lower multiple eggs at once in under 5 minutes?

Yes, you can lower multiple eggs at once in under 5 minutes. However, it is important to make sure that the eggs are evenly spaced in the container and that the water is at a rolling boil before adding the eggs. You may also need to extend the cooking time by a minute or two to ensure all the eggs are cooked through.

4. What temperature should the water be when lowering an egg in under 5 minutes?

The water temperature should be at a rolling boil when lowering an egg in under 5 minutes. This ensures that the egg cooks quickly and evenly. If the water is not at a rolling boil, the egg may take longer to cook and may not be fully cooked by the end of 5 minutes.

5. How can I tell if the egg is fully cooked when lowering it in under 5 minutes?

To determine if the egg is fully cooked when lowering it in under 5 minutes, you can use a kitchen thermometer. A soft-boiled egg should have an internal temperature of 145°F (63°C) and a medium-boiled egg should have an internal temperature of 155°F (68°C). Alternatively, you can carefully remove the egg from the water and gently tap the shell - a fully cooked egg will have a firm, solid feeling.