1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slow-motion approach

1. May 22, 2006 #1
    Hello i didn,t understand the slow motion approach of course i know that:

[tex] \frac{\partial f }{\partial x^{0}}\sim \epsilon \frac{\partial f }{\partial x^{a}} [/tex] according to this approach with epsilon<<<1 small parameter for every smooth function my doubts are.

a)what would happen to higher derivatives of f with respect to time and spatial coordinates?..x,y,z ?

b)If we only want effect upto first order in epsilon parameter then..what would happen to:

[tex] \nabla ^{2}f [/tex] (Laplacian)

[tex] (1,1,1)*Gra(f) [/tex] (scalar product involving the gradient)

or if we had [tex] \epsilon div(f) [/tex] would it mean that the only term that should be kept is df/dt if we consider effects only to first order?..

thanks.:redface: :redface: :redface:

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2006 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I've been trying to fill in the context of this post, with little success. Regarding what problem are you taking a "slow motion" approach? Are you doing low-velocity, weak-field approximations to GR?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?