Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slow motion approx, order of acceleration quick Q?

1. Apr 1, 2015 #1
    I'm looking at equation (41) from equation (40) on http://www.mth.uct.ac.za/omei/gr/chap7/node3.html [Broken] and the second term, it says that these equations are given up to ##O(\epsilon)##.

Looking at equation (32) for ##g_{00}## I see it is proportional to ##\Phi##, and from looking at (31) I see that ##\Phi ## is of the same order as ##d^{2}x^{i}/dt^{2}## .

Looking at the 2nd term in (41) which has only been multiplied by a ##-1## from the ##g_{00}## I conclude that it is only possible to be given up to ##O(\epsilon)## if ##\Phi## , and so, ## d^{2}x^{i}/dt^{2}##, is of the order ##O(\epsilon^{2})##

By definition of the slow approximation we have ##dx^{i}/dt=O(\epsilon)##. And time derivatives are neglected compared to space derivatives.

It seems to me quite possible that ##d^{2}x^{i}/dt^{2}## being of the order ##O(\epsilon^{2})## can be justified.

However I'm not sure how to show this properly/explicitly?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2015 #2
  4. Apr 2, 2015 #3

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Frankly, I don't understand the basis for their order [itex]\epsilon[/itex] analysis.

Normally, I would think that to get Newtonian physics as an approximation to GR, we need something like this:

1. Assume that [itex]g_{\mu \nu} = \eta_{\mu \nu} + O(\epsilon)[/itex]
    2. Assume that [itex]\frac{dx^j}{dt} = O(\sqrt{\epsilon})[/itex]
    3. Assume that [itex]\rho = O(\epsilon)[/itex]
    4. Assume that [itex]p/c^2 \ll \rho[/itex]
    5. Assume that [itex]\partial_t g_{\mu \nu}[/itex] is negligible compared with spatial derivatives.
    As for 4&5, I'm not sure how pressure and time-derivatives of the metric should rank in powers of [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

But the big difference with what you've said is that I don't think that [itex]\Phi[/itex] should be [itex]O(\epsilon^2)[/itex]. Since [itex]g_{00} = 1 + \frac{2\Phi}{c^2}[/itex] it must be that [itex]\Phi = O(\epsilon)[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook