Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slow/No Response From PF

1. Jul 10, 2006 #1

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue:

A lot of times, I will start PF and things work well. However, after a few minutes, PF seems to lock up. I'll try to open a thread and nothing. Zip. Zilch. No matter what I do, all I get is that damned progress bar moving at a snail's pace and "waiting for physics forum..." Most times, the only thing I have been able to do is to restart either Firefox or IE (it happens on both for me) and wait a few minutes.

It doesn't appear to be a traffic volume issue. Any ideas as to what this could be?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2006 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

I am having the same problem sometimes.

4. Jul 10, 2006 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me three. It appears to be fairly independent of browser, OS, connection speed or memory.

This has been happening for most of this last week.

5. Jul 10, 2006 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Me 2, said MeToo.

[ EDIT ] DOH! Me 4.

6. Jul 10, 2006 #5

wolram

Gold Member

And some times when i try to post it just comes up blank screen and done :tongue2: why fib?:grumpy:

7. Jul 10, 2006 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=123705

--- also, keep the "cookie jar" cleared out, "files and offline content deleted, and don't be afraid to hit the left mouse button --- one click gets you into "slow load" mode, second gets you out, third back in, even "n" out, odd "n" in --- the "doorbell's" got a problem, misses "end of string" or something --- jostling it like an obnoxious door to door salesman sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

8. Jul 11, 2006 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What ... ARE ... you talking about???

9. Jul 11, 2006 #8

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Cursor on the forum, thread, whatever item you're after; click the left button; PF balks; hit it again --- cancels the action; hit it again for another try; continue until you get a response that is at whatever speed you've come to expect from your server. Klar?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?