Slow Speed Turbine: Exploring Efficiency and Torque

In summary: Lets elaborate on the idea of wasted compression. Lets say you have two power takeoffs, one that is faster and one that is slower. The faster power takeoff is using all of the compression that the engine can provide while the slower power takeoff is just wasting some of the compression. The faster power takeoff is using all of the energy that the engine has available while the slower power takeoff is just wasting a little bit of energy. If you could somehow get the slower power takeoff to use all of the compression then you would be able to get more out of the engine. In summary, if you want to build a turbine engine that is more efficient, you need to find a way to compress the air using all of the available energy. This
blkexp98
Is there such a thing (other than wind) as a slow speed turbine? If not is it an efficiency issue or what? Turbines seem to be able to put out high horsepower but at a cost of speed. By that I mean its too fast to get useable torque at low speeds. With gas being the source of power and not a fluid like water what do you think it would take to build more torque at low speeds.

Lets use a boat engine as an example since its load is more constant. If you built a series of turbines but fed them from the edges instead of head on could it be a efficient power source? I assume its either not or not as cost effective as a piston engine but I always tend to wonder about things.

So what do yall think to get things started?

Engineering news on Phys.org
blkexp98 said:
Is there such a thing (other than wind) as a slow speed turbine? If not is it an efficiency issue or what? Turbines seem to be able to put out high horsepower but at a cost of speed. By that I mean its too fast to get useable torque at low speeds. With gas being the source of power and not a fluid like water what do you think it would take to build more torque at low speeds.

Lets use a boat engine as an example since its load is more constant. If you built a series of turbines but fed them from the edges instead of head on could it be a efficient power source? I assume its either not or not as cost effective as a piston engine but I always tend to wonder about things.

So what do yall think to get things started?

Something like a Low Head Water Turbine?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...=50000...0...1.1.41.img..1.13.956.WljwKIXxZNsEDIT -- oops, it looks like you were asking about turbines for engines, not for power generation...

Last edited:
The turbines used in the Chrysler Turbine Car were fairly high torque. It's really just a matter of how you set up the turbine geometry (and how you pull the power off of the engine). Most turbine engines spin fairly quickly because the compressor is more efficient at fairly high spin speeds. If you run the power takeoff on a completely separate shaft from the compressor drive turbine though, there's no reason why the two can't be run at dramatically different speeds (allowing for a relatively low speed, high torque power takeoff turbine, and a high speed turbine to drive the compressor).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_turbine_engines#A831

Yea I see what you mean about separating the two sections but wouldn't that be wasting some of the compression if you let some blow by to slow the second power takeoff section? I guess you may could have a smaller compressor and let the air expand to be used by a larger turbine so it would turn slower. If I am getting it right in my head it would be like having a small fan that puts out a certain CFM at a fast rpm while a larger fan can put out the same CFM but turns slower. The velocity would be different but they are still moving the same amount of air. Does that sound right?

berkeman: No problem. Sometimes mistakes can lead to new ideas so the info is still welcome.

1. What is a slow speed turbine?

A slow speed turbine is a type of turbine that operates at a lower rotational speed compared to traditional high-speed turbines. It is typically used in applications where a high torque output is required, such as in wind turbines or hydroelectric power plants.

2. How does a slow speed turbine improve efficiency?

A slow speed turbine operates at a lower speed, which allows it to extract more energy from the wind or water flow. This results in a higher efficiency as more energy is being converted into usable power. Additionally, slow speed turbines have a simpler design and fewer parts, which can also contribute to their efficiency.

3. What is the relationship between torque and efficiency in a slow speed turbine?

In a slow speed turbine, there is a direct relationship between torque and efficiency. As the torque output increases, so does the efficiency of the turbine. This is because a higher torque allows the turbine to extract more energy from the wind or water flow.

4. What are some potential applications of a slow speed turbine?

Slow speed turbines are commonly used in wind and hydroelectric power generation. They can also be used in tidal power plants, where the slower flow of water can be harnessed for energy. Additionally, slow speed turbines can be used in some industrial processes, such as pumping water or grinding grains.

5. How does the design of a slow speed turbine affect its performance?

The design of a slow speed turbine can greatly impact its performance. Factors such as blade shape, number of blades, and placement of the turbine can all affect the efficiency and torque output. Additionally, the materials used in the construction of the turbine can also impact its performance and durability.