Verifying $\gamma = \frac{E}{m}$ in QFT

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft
In summary: Now I have:E = \pm(m^2 + \frac{m^2v^2}{1 - v^2})^{1/2} = \pm m(\frac{1 - v^2 + v^2}{1 - v^2})^{1/2} = \pm m\gamma
Jimmy Snyder

Homework Statement

On page 41 of Ryder's QFT, just below eqn (2.84), it says: [tex]\gamma = E/m[/tex] I was unable to verify this, unless it is meant to be true only for small speeds.

Homework Equations

[tex]E = \pm(m^2c^4 + p^2c^2)^{1/2}[/tex] (2.24) page 29, but as suggested n the book, we let c = 1, so
[tex]E = \pm(m^2 + p^2)^{1/2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm not sure this is legal, but I replaced p with mv as in the classical case, and then v with [tex]\beta[/tex].
[tex]E = \pm(m^2 + m^2v^2)^{1/2} = \pm m(1 + \beta^2)^{1/2} \approx \pm m\gamma[/tex]
But that approximation is only good when v is small.

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmysnyder said:

Homework Statement

On page 41 of Ryder's QFT, just below eqn (2.84), it says: [tex]\gamma = E/m[/tex] I was unable to verify this, unless it is meant to be true only for small speeds.

Homework Equations

[tex]E = \pm(m^2c^4 + p^2c^2)^{1/2}[/tex] (2.24) page 29, but as suggested n the book, we let c = 1, so
[tex]E = \pm(m^2 + p^2)^{1/2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm not sure this is legal, but I replaced p with mv as in the classical case, and then v with [tex]\beta[/tex].
[tex]E = \pm(m^2 + m^2v^2)^{1/2} = \pm m(1 + \beta^2)^{1/2} \approx \pm m\gamma[/tex]
But that approximation is only good when v is small.

In relativistic physics momentum is not given by classical formula [itex] p = mv [/itex]. Try using

[tex] p = \frac{mv}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}} [/tex]

instead.
Eugene.

Got it. Thanks Eugene. Now I have:
[tex]E = \pm(m^2 + \frac{m^2v^2}{1 - v^2})^{1/2} = \pm m(\frac{1 - v^2 + v^2}{1 - v^2})^{1/2} = \pm m\gamma[/tex]
Now my only problem is the matter of the [tex]\pm[/tex].

jimmysnyder said:
Got it. Thanks Eugene. Now I have:
[tex]E = \pm(m^2 + \frac{m^2v^2}{1 - v^2})^{1/2} = \pm m(\frac{1 - v^2 + v^2}{1 - v^2})^{1/2} = \pm m\gamma[/tex]
Now my only problem is the matter of the [tex]\pm[/tex].

You should always take the positive sign. Energy is positive, by definition.

Eugene.

Thanks Eugene.

1. How do you verify $\gamma = \frac{E}{m}$ in QFT?

To verify $\gamma = \frac{E}{m}$ in QFT, we use the Dirac equation, which relates the energy and momentum of a particle to its mass through the formula $E^2 = m^2 + p^2$. By manipulating the Dirac equation and taking the non-relativistic limit, we can show that $\gamma = \frac{E}{m}$ is satisfied in the low-energy regime.

2. What is the significance of $\gamma = \frac{E}{m}$ in QFT?

In QFT, $\gamma = \frac{E}{m}$ is known as the relativistic energy-momentum relation. It is a fundamental equation that describes the relationship between an object's energy, momentum, and mass in the context of special relativity. It is also a key component in the Dirac equation, which is a cornerstone of quantum mechanics.

3. Can $\gamma = \frac{E}{m}$ be derived from first principles in QFT?

Yes, $\gamma = \frac{E}{m}$ can be derived from first principles in QFT. It is a direct consequence of the Lorentz invariance of the theory, which states that the laws of physics should remain the same in all inertial reference frames. By imposing this symmetry on the equations of QFT, we can derive the relativistic energy-momentum relation.

4. Does $\gamma = \frac{E}{m}$ hold for all particles in QFT?

No, $\gamma = \frac{E}{m}$ does not hold for all particles in QFT. It is only valid for particles with zero spin, such as scalar particles. For particles with spin, such as photons or electrons, the relativistic energy-momentum relation is modified to include their spin contributions.

5. How does $\gamma = \frac{E}{m}$ differ from the classical energy-momentum relation?

The classical energy-momentum relation $E = \frac{p^2}{2m}$ differs from $\gamma = \frac{E}{m}$ in that it does not take into account the effects of special relativity. In the classical relation, energy and momentum are treated as independent quantities, while in the relativistic relation, they are intertwined through the Lorentz factor $\gamma$. Additionally, the classical relation holds only for non-relativistic particles, while the relativistic relation applies to all particles in QFT.