Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slow, stupid computer/printer face

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Slow, stupid computer/printer face!!!!

So I has a question to AXE. I swear, whenever I try to print a .pdf file that opens in firefox, it takes FOREVER. The printers are on a wireless network but I swear to all that is holy and good that it takes like 5-10 minutes to print. Oh and that's not time between it starts and finishes, that's the time that the computer is basically frozen and out of commission because firefox hangs on the progress bar of the printing job. Once its finished, the printer immediately prints it.

Oh I said I have a question.... well, WHAT THE HELL???

DISCUSS!!!

Seriously, what in the world causes this? Why is, I assume, my computer taking 3x10^384 calculations and 300TB of memory to print my 7 page document? DO I NEED TO SLAP SOMEONE?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2
    Re: Slow, stupid computer/printer face!!!!

I'm not sure why it happens, but it might be something to do with the pdf plugin on firefox. I've noticed on firefox and IE that it's actually quicker to download a pdf and then display it in adobe acrobat than to try and open it in the browser itself. There may be some sort of translation process, but then again, this was for pdf's in the 2MB and larger range. The translation process probably has to happen again to send the pdf from firefox into "printer format".

4. Oct 28, 2009 #3

have you tried rebooting? ;-)

seriously though, that was a very funny rant and brightened up my lunchtime considerably

5. Oct 28, 2009 #4

At school we were always told never to print from explorer pages because it clogs up the system, but never given a reason. If you download the file and print it from the reader, do you get much faster results?

You know when you scroll down, the page still loads on Firefox? That implies that when you print there may be some sort of back-and-forth communication between your printer driver and the actual web page as the information is not fully downloaded before it is sent to be printed...

6. Oct 28, 2009 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  7. Oct 28, 2009 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Download and open in Adobe Acrobat or Reader (whichever you have) and print from that.

8. Oct 28, 2009 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook