PF Sluggish Today: What's Up? Not a Local Issue

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
In summary, users have been experiencing slow performance on PF, specifically with the addition of Facebook buttons. Some users have suggested removing the buttons, while others argue that PF's social media presence is important. The issue seems to be intermittent, with some users still experiencing delays despite the removal of the buttons. There has also been speculation that the issue may be related to a specific node or browser. Some users have reported that the speed has improved, while others are still experiencing issues.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
PF has been REALLY sluggish today. What's up? I'm not having that issue with any other sites, so it doesn't seem to be local to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Works OK for me (ignoring occasional 500).

I've noticed that the page freezes at times when the "Facebook like" was added, the twitter link loads, then I wait and wait for the FB link to appear, then it speeds up again.

The facebook button loads (or tries to load) JavaScript code from facebook.net, that could be slow.

more info --- still slow today, but I see that it is NOT waiting for PF stuff to load but rather is waiting for facebook stuff to load. Can we get rid of facebook stuff? What does facebook have to do with PF ?

EDIT: This explains why I only see the slowdown on SOME threads, not on most. Seriously, can we get rid of facebook links?

phinds said:
What does facebook have to do with PF ?

EDIT: This explains why I only see the slowdown on SOME threads, not on most. Seriously, can we get rid of facebook links?

I'm considering it. I'm assuming you are referring to the LIKE buttons. PF's social media presence is important.

Greg, I can't tell WHAT part of facebook is causing it, just that my browser shows a notation in the lower left corner saying something about "waiting on facebook.com"

When this happens, typically I get the first post in a thread and then it takes anything from 10 or 20 seconds up to forever before the rest of the thread arrives. Sometimes, but not always, hitting the browser's "stop" and then "refresh" will get it to show up.

It has been VERY annoying the last day or two.

You can block those facebook stuff locally in your browser. Looks like the async loading does not work well.
I don't want to add my opinion about facebook here.

Code:
      <script>
        // Load the SDK Asynchronously
        (function(d){
           var js, id = 'facebook-jssdk', ref = d.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];
           if (d.getElementById(id)) {return;}
           js = d.createElement('script'); js.id = id; js.async = true;
           js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1";
           ref.parentNode.insertBefore(js, ref);
         }(document));
      </script>

Greg Bernhardt said:
PF's social media presence is important.

It's only important to people who think that having a social media presence is important.

AlephZero said:
It's only important to people who think that having a social media presence is important.

Like Fortune 500 companies and successful website owners? PF receives a large amount of social media traffic. It's important. ;)phinds, I have since limited the buttons to the first page of a thread.

Greg Bernhardt said:
phinds, I have since limited the buttons to the first page of a thread.

OK, thanks. I'll let you know if that helps / doesn't help

phinds said:
Greg Bernhardt said:
phinds, I have since limited the buttons to the first page of a thread.
OK, thanks. I'll let you know if that helps / doesn't help
It helps on every page apart from the first one :tongue:.

Now we have "likes" and "recommends" buttons on every thread, maybe we should revisit "voting for the best answers" :devil:

No improvement with IE, page still freezes until the FB button appears, takes at least 2-3 seconds. About 1-2 seconds delay on chrome.

Agree w/ Evo ... no improvement ... same issue exactly

Greg Bernhardt said:
How about now?

Just did a quick test ... loaded 10 pages "simultaneously" and they all popped up right away. Whatever you did seems to have fixed the problem (but this IS just one quick test)

phinds said:
Just did a quick test ... loaded 10 pages "simultaneously" and they all popped up right away. Whatever you did seems to have fixed the problem (but this IS just one quick test)

I removed the FB Like button :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
I removed the FB Like button :D

Excellent ... KEEP it that way :smile:

Hm ... problem is back big-time. I opened 4 threads and I'm still waiting for them to get past the first post in each

EDIT: Ah, but this time they say "waiting for Physics Forum" so maybe the site is just slow now, not a Facebook problem.

phinds said:
Hm ... problem is back big-time. I opened 4 threads and I'm still waiting for them to get past the first post in each

EDIT: Ah, but this time they say "waiting for Physics Forum" so maybe the site is just slow now, not a Facebook problem.

It's blazing for me. Can you do a traceroute for me?

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's blazing for me. Can you do a traceroute for me?

don't know what that is

OK, found out what it is and did one but it's a screen capture and I find loading pics here on PF to be so incredibly obnoxious that I'm not willing to do it. PM me an email and I'll send it as an attachment.

EDIT: after several node reports, I just get timeouts

Greg Bernhardt said:
how is the speed today?

I did the same "load multiple threads together" test and today there is no delay so if you changed nothing since yesterday and I think we're safe in concluding that my experience was yet another example of a NY node slowing down.

Thanks

I don't see the FB button anymore and I am not noticing the page freezing.

Speed is excellent here. But I also defragged and optimized my harddisk.

Evo said:
I don't see the FB button anymore and I am not noticing the page freezing.

Maybe those three buttons were an online demo of "cheap, fast, reliable - pick any two" :biggrin:

For the past 3 days, PF has crashed on chrome, but runs fine on IE 7. What's the problem? It been frozen on chrome the last few miutes, then got that stupid chrome frowny face.

Evo said:
For the past 3 days, PF has crashed on chrome, but runs fine on IE 7. What's the problem? It been frozen on chrome the last few miutes, then got that stupid chrome frowny face.

Do you get it when you're loading a page with math formatting?

Evo said:

Are you running the latest Chrome? I've never had problems and I run exclusively on Chrome. Do you have any extensions running?

lisab said:
Do you get it when you're loading a page with math formatting?
No, I'll be getting bad freezes and give up and let it sit, then a few minutes later, all of the tabs for PF will have that stupid frowny face and if I have a tab to PF open, I get some idiotic "SORRY" message with a bunch of nonsense verbiage but no details, at least when a page can't be connected to in IE it gives you an error message with a number that you can look up.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Are you running the latest Chrome? I've never had problems and I run exclusively on Chrome. Do you have any extensions running?
I have version 26.0.1410.64m No extensions.

From checking, apparently this newest version is extremely buggy, freezes and crashes.

Since 26.0.1410.64m the performance went downhill very fast. I have miriads of problems related to flash sites.

I hope this get fixed soon.

kind regards,
A chrome fanboy

2:42 AM, April 17, 2013

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2013/04/stable-channel-update.html

Oddly, the other sites are unaffected, just PF.

I'm currently having to use IE to view PF without crashing.

Last edited:
I'm a bit suspicious of chrome. The system explorer shows that it does an awful lot of reading and writing on the disk at times, slowing down everything.

1. What does "PF Sluggish Today" mean?

"PF Sluggish Today" refers to a decrease in performance or speed of a computer program or system called "PF".

2. Is this issue only affecting local systems?

No, the issue is not limited to local systems. It may also affect remote systems or networks that are connected to the PF program.

3. What could be causing the sluggishness?

There could be various reasons for the sluggishness, such as a high volume of data or processes, hardware or software issues, or network connectivity problems.

4. How can I fix the issue?

The first step would be to identify the root cause of the sluggishness. This can be done through troubleshooting and identifying any potential issues with the hardware, software, or network. Once the root cause is identified, appropriate measures can be taken to resolve the issue.

5. Can I prevent this issue from happening in the future?

Yes, by regularly maintaining and updating the hardware and software, monitoring network connectivity, and implementing efficient processes, the chances of encountering this issue in the future can be reduced.