How can I design a roller project to roll down an incline as slow as possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of creating a rolling object that moves down an incline as slowly as possible. The object must have a uniform radius of 0-.5m and a mass between .25kg and .5kg. The ramp it will roll down is a pine board with specific dimensions. The person is seeking help with formulas and guidance for this project. The solution suggested is to focus on maximizing rotational energy over kinetic energy by researching formulas for different roller shapes. The conversation ends with the person clarifying that this is not a graded assignment, but for a science league competition.
physicsdude17

Homework Statement

I have to make something that will roll down an incline as slow as possible. It needs to have a uniform radius of 0-.5m and have a mass between .25kg and .5kg. The ramp it needs to go down is a pine board 12' long, with a starting height of 6", and the ramp is 7.5" wide. I am not necessarily looking for how to do it exactly, but just help with what formulas and such to use. This stuff is beyond my limited knowledge of physics.

Homework Equations

Dont know any, that's why I am here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start for this project. If it makes a difference, it is not a graded one for school, but for an after school science league competition. I am just looking for something to get me going in the right direction. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
As it rolls down the ramp, potential energy will be converted into kinetic energy plus rotational energy. The more that goes into RE rather than KE, the slower it will go down. Find formulas for the rotational energy for rollers of various shapes (sphere, cylinder, ring ...). Choose the one that has the largest rotational energy for a given rolling speed.

I would suggest starting by researching the concept of rolling resistance and how it affects the speed of an object rolling down an incline. This can be calculated using the equation F = μmg, where F is the rolling resistance force, μ is the coefficient of rolling resistance (which depends on the surface materials), m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Next, consider the factors that can affect the rolling resistance force, such as the type of material used for the rolling object and the surface of the incline. For example, using a material with a high coefficient of rolling resistance, such as rubber, can help slow down the object's speed.

You can also experiment with the radius of the rolling object and the angle of the incline to see how they affect the speed. A smaller radius and a steeper incline may result in a slower roll.

Finally, make sure to carefully measure and control the variables, such as the mass and starting height, to ensure accurate and consistent results. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a "Slowest roller project"?

A "Slowest roller project" is a scientific experiment in which a roller or ball is released on an inclined plane and timed to determine the slowest rolling speed.

2. Why is the slowest rolling speed important?

The slowest rolling speed can provide valuable information about the friction and resistance of the surface the roller is traveling on, as well as the mass and shape of the roller itself.

3. How is the slowest rolling speed measured?

The slowest rolling speed is typically measured using a stopwatch or a motion sensor, recording the time it takes for the roller to reach the bottom of the inclined plane.

4. What factors can affect the slowest rolling speed?

The slowest rolling speed can be affected by various factors such as the surface material, the angle of the inclined plane, the shape and weight of the roller, and external forces like air resistance.

5. What are the potential applications of studying the slowest rolling speed?

Studying the slowest rolling speed can have applications in various fields such as material science, engineering, and physics. It can also provide insights into the design and efficiency of machines and transportation methods.