Slowing Gravity? Gravitons & Star Clusters

• Thread starter Zefram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of gravity waves and whether or not they can be slowed down like light can be in a medium. There is also a discussion about the relationship between gravity waves and gravitons, with the conclusion that they are the quantum and classical representations of the same thing. It is also mentioned that there is currently no known way to slow down gravity waves, as they are the slowest thing and make everything else slow down.
Zefram
Gravity is supposed to propogate at the speed of light; but is there any way to slow it down "in a medium" as light can be? Are gravitons (theoretically) supposed to be emitted and absorbed by masses the way photons are by atoms? If so, could something like a star cluster act in the same way a medium does for light to "slow down" gravity (i.e. take a gravitational signal, with all the absorbing and reemitting, longer to travel from one side of the cluster to the other than if no masses were present)? Or am I completely off here?

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the predicted properties of gravity waves is that they are not interfered with by passing through obstructions between the source and the observer. This is one of the many reasons why astronomers are so keen on developing ways to detect them. If this property proves true, then it would seem to suggest that the waves cannot be "red-shifted", slowed, or weakend by any medium. This is only my reasoning on the matter, and there may be more reliable information at MIT's LIGO Website .

Although this does raise the question of whether or not they can be interfered with by other gravity waves. Never thought of the idea of gravity wave interferometry before, but I'm sure I'm not the first. Must go search.

This is a point I'm not clear on: are gravity waves the same things as gravitons? I know there are projects like LIGO and VIRGO (and maybe LISA someday) to detect gravity waves directly (and that Nobel prize from ten years ago that involved the indirect detection of them) but when a gravity wave is definitely detected will that be the same as saying gravitons have been detected? I've seen people refer to them as if they're the same but they sound like two different things to me.

But, regardless, are gravitons emitted and absorbed by masses in any way analogous to the way photons are?

Originally posted by Zefram
This is a point I'm not clear on: are gravity waves the same things as gravitons? I know there are projects like LIGO and VIRGO (and maybe LISA someday) to detect gravity waves directly (and that Nobel prize from ten years ago that involved the indirect detection of them) but when a gravity wave is definitely detected will that be the same as saying gravitons have been detected? I've seen people refer to them as if they're the same but they sound like two different things to me.

But, regardless, are gravitons emitted and absorbed by masses in any way analogous to the way photons are?

Gravitons and gravity waves bear the same relationship to each other as photons and electromagnetic waves do. They are the quantum and classical representation of the same thing.

I think what gets confusing is when people refer to the graviton as the force-carrying particle for gravity.

This is not strictly true. The force carrying particle for gravity would be the virtual graviton. In the same way, virtual photons mediate the electromagnetic force.

so it goes like this:

for light
wave: electromagnetic
particle : photon
Field: electromagnetic
Force carrier : virtual photon

for gravity
wave: Gravity
particle: graviton
Field: Gravitational
force carrier: virtual graviton

In classical terms one usually refers to waves and fields, in quantum terms, particles and virtual particles.

I don't think gravity waves could be slowed down. Gravity waves by their nature would be propogations of a space/time wave. Much like light does not require a medium to move in, but particles will make it slow down, since gravity is the very essence of a spacetime disturbance, one would have to put the wave in something other than spacetime...but if you can find one of those, I'll give you an infinite amount of money.

All right, thanks for the responses. Too bad to hear there's no gravitational analogue of Cherenkov radiation.

There wouldn't be unless, as I stated, you managed to make a gravity wave move in something other than spacetime. And as I stated, if you do, please by all means contact me. You'll get an infinite amount of money hehe.

Light is slowed down by gravity, and I can think of nothing that can slow down gravity...

1. What is slowing gravity?

Slowing gravity refers to the concept of reducing the force of gravity in a given area or system. This can be achieved through various methods, such as altering the mass or distance of objects, or using advanced technologies like gravitational waves.

2. What are gravitons?

Gravitons are hypothetical particles that are believed to be the carriers of the force of gravity. They are predicted by certain theories, such as quantum field theory, but have not yet been observed or proven to exist.

3. How do gravitons affect gravity?

Gravitons are thought to interact with particles that have mass, such as stars and planets, and transmit the force of gravity between them. They are also believed to be responsible for the bending of space-time, which is the basis of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

4. Can gravity be slowed or reversed?

While concepts like slowing gravity and reversing gravity are often explored in science fiction, they are currently not possible with our current understanding and technology. The force of gravity is a fundamental aspect of the universe and cannot be eliminated or reversed.

5. How do star clusters impact gravity?

Star clusters, which are groups of stars that are gravitationally bound together, can have a significant impact on the force of gravity in their surrounding areas. The combined mass of the stars in a cluster can alter the gravitational pull in their vicinity, and their interactions can also create gravitational waves that affect nearby objects.