Uncovering the Mystery: Slowing Time on a Plane Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation in reference to the rotation of the Earth. The book being read states that if two planes start from the US Naval Observatory, the one going westward will experience slower time due to going against the Earth's rotation. The conversation also explores the idea of reference frames and how the Earth's rotation affects time dilation. The conversation ends with the person admitting to not fully understanding the concept and wanting to explore it further.
kuahji
I'm not sure if this has been asked/discussed before or not. I tried to look but couldn't find a thread, so if there is one please direct me to it.

In this book I'm reading it states that if two planes start off at say the US Naval Observatory, if one goes eastward & the other westward, time will move slower on the plane going eastward. Both planes travel at the same speeds, same height, etc. The reason the book states is because the plane traveling westward goes against the rotation of the Earth. If the US Navel Observatory is the reference frame I don't understand why time one way is slower than the other. If the reference frame was in outer space I could see why (you'd see the plane going eastward at say 100kph + the speed of the Earth's rotation).

Perhaps I'm over thinking this one or perhaps I don't understand as much as I thought I did. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I havn't herd anything about that before.
What book are you reading?

The US Naval Observatory is not an inertial reference frame, it is on a rotating Earth.

Garth

Go to google and search on Hafele & Keating

kuahji said:
I'm not sure if this has been asked/discussed before or not. I tried to look but couldn't find a thread, so if there is one please direct me to it.

In this book I'm reading it states that if two planes start off at say the US Naval Observatory, if one goes eastward & the other westward, time will move slower on the plane going eastward. Both planes travel at the same speeds, same height, etc. The reason the book states is because the plane traveling westward goes against the rotation of the Earth. If the US Navel Observatory is the reference frame I don't understand why time one way is slower than the other. If the reference frame was in outer space I could see why (you'd see the plane going eastward at say 100kph + the speed of the Earth's rotation).

Perhaps I'm over thinking this one or perhaps I don't understand as much as I thought I did. Any thoughts?

I'd have to dig a bit for supporting references, but your book has it right. To make the observation more specific by pinning down the details, when the two planes next meet (are in the same point in space-time) the westward moving one will have more elapsed time on its clock.

What I don't quite understand is what you don't understand.

Would it help you to write down some math?

scott1 said:
I havn't herd anything about that before.
What book are you reading?
Einstein for dummies... :-p I'm reading it on the side from classes for fun.

Garth said:
The US Naval Observatory is not an inertial reference frame, it is on a rotating Earth.

Garth

I thought there could be no abosulte at rest reference frames... You could say the universe is rotating around the Earth.

yogi said:
Go to google and search on Hafele & Keating

This is what I was reading about.

Basically, I thought it didn't matter if the intial reference frame was on Earth. Because in theory you could say the Earth is moving around the Sun, & the sun around a black hole (in theory).

pervect said:
I'd have to dig a bit for supporting references, but your book has it right. To make the observation more specific by pinning down the details, when the two planes next meet (are in the same point in space-time) the westward moving one will have more elapsed time on its clock.

What I don't quite understand is what you don't understand.

Would it help you to write down some math?

I'm not at that level yet to understand the math. I'm sure when I catch up the ideas will click better. I just thought from what I read you could say the Earth is standing still & the universe is rotating around the Earth. Then in theory the planes that are flying there would be no time dilation. The Earth's rotation is decelerating b/c of the pull from the moon, but if it wasn't we couldn't say the Earth was rotating correct? I think now that I slept on it, it's making a bit more sense. Just have to wait for the math to catch up.

This is what was confusing me. If I was standing on Earth & two people walked 2km from me (on East & one West) at the same speeds. I shouldn't be able to tell the time dilation even with the most accurate equipement, right (b/c everything is in uniform motion)? But, if I was in space orbiting the planet, one would have time dilation or do they both have the dilation in both reference frames? That is what is confusing me.

kuahji said:
I thought there could be no abosulte at rest reference frames... You could say the universe is rotating around the Earth.

Basically, I thought it didn't matter if the intial reference frame was on Earth. Because in theory you could say the Earth is moving around the Sun, & the sun around a black hole (in theory).

I'm not at that level yet to understand the math. I'm sure when I catch up the ideas will click better. I just thought from what I read you could say the Earth is standing still & the universe is rotating around the Earth. Then in theory the planes that are flying there would be no time dilation. The Earth's rotation is decelerating b/c of the pull from the moon, but if it wasn't we couldn't say the Earth was rotating correct? I think now that I slept on it, it's making a bit more sense. Just have to wait for the math to catch up.

This is what was confusing me. If I was standing on Earth & two people walked 2km from me (on East & one West) at the same speeds. I shouldn't be able to tell the time dilation even with the most accurate equipement, right (b/c everything is in uniform motion)? But, if I was in space orbiting the planet, one would have time dilation or do they both have the dilation in both reference frames? That is what is confusing me.

Try reading this:

http://www.bartleby.com/173/23.html

kuahji said:
I'm not at that level yet to understand the math. I'm sure when I catch up the ideas will click better. I just thought from what I read you could say the Earth is standing still & the universe is rotating around the Earth. Then in theory the planes that are flying there would be no time dilation.

Basically, the simple answer to your problem is that rotation is absolute. You can tell by a variety of experiments, including a ring laser gyro, that the Earth is rotating, without reference to any other object.

So it is false to say that you can think of the Earth as standing still and the []universe is rotating about it.

It is correct to say that you cannot know what velocity the Earth has without reference to some other object. The same cannot be said for rotation, however.

This is often sumarized by saying that rotation is absolute, but velocity is relative.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. It makes sense to me now. :)

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object moving at high speeds compared to a stationary observer. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

How does time dilation occur on a plane?

Time dilation on a plane is caused by the high speed at which the plane is traveling. As the plane moves faster, it experiences a slower passage of time compared to a stationary observer on the ground. This is due to the fact that the speed of light is constant, and the faster an object moves, the more it distorts the perception of time.

What is the formula for time dilation?

The formula for time dilation is t' = t/√(1-v^2/c^2), where t' is the time experienced by the moving object, t is the time experienced by the stationary observer, v is the speed of the moving object, and c is the speed of light.

Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation can be observed in everyday life, but the effects are extremely small. For example, a person traveling in an airplane will experience a very slight time dilation compared to someone on the ground. However, the effects are only noticeable at extremely high speeds, such as those reached by objects traveling close to the speed of light.

How does time dilation affect space travel?

Time dilation plays a crucial role in space travel. As objects travel at high speeds in space, they experience significant time dilation, which means that time will pass slower for them compared to a stationary observer on Earth. This allows astronauts to travel much farther in space and experience less time compared to people on Earth.