1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small and quick C++ problem

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just been introduced to the world of C++ as I'm taking a course on it in my maths degree. We are asked to write a simple program that takes in 3 numbers, sorts them in terms of order and then outputs them.

Not going to type my full program as that would probably be a waste of your time but here are the two important lines I am stuck on:

char qualifier1;
    qualifier1 = "=";

And I'm getting the error when I try to compile this:

invalid conversion from `const char*' to `char'

Can anyone help me please, I'm not sure what this means and I am struggling to fix it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2
    i believe the correct syntax for a single char is ' ' not " "...if i remember correctly " " denotes strings...and thus your error is saying
    cannot convert const char* "=" (string) to a char (single char qualifier)
  4. Oct 4, 2005 #3
    Using double quotes ("") in C and C++ returns a constant character pointer which points to a null-terminated string in the static section of memory. So if you write char* ptr = "dog"; you get ptr pointing to a character array consisting of 'd', 'o', 'g', and '\0', the null terminator.

What you're looking to do is use single quotes. When you type "=", you get the C-string "=". What you want to do is '=', with single quotes. This returns a plain character.

Edit: whoops too late
  5. Oct 4, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?