1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small angle approximation

1. Aug 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I want to solve the motion equation

## m \frac {dv_z} {dt} = - μ \frac {∂B_z} {∂z} ##
    with small angle approximation

2. Relevant equations
    ## B_z(z) = B_0 -bCos(\frac {zπ} {2L}) ## is the magnetic field in the z-direction
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Started by derive the magnetic field equation with resp. z
    ## m \frac {∂B_z} {∂z} = \frac {bπ} {2L} * μ * sin(\frac {zπ} {2L}) ##
    and put it into eq above <=>

## m \frac {dv_z} {dt} = -μ \frac {bπ} {2L} * sin(\frac {zπ} {2L}) ##
    <=>
    small angles sin(x) ~ x
    ## \frac {dv_z} {dt} = - \frac μ m * \frac {bπ} {2L} * z ##

## v_z = \frac {dz} {dt} ## <=>

## \frac {d^2v_z} { dt^2} = - \frac {μb} {m} * \frac {μ} {2L} * z ##

Im not sure if this is correct

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

You dropped a factor of ## 2 L ## in the denominator, as well as ## \pi ## in the numerator, when you took the small angle approximation. (Also, your first equation should read ## \mu \frac{\partial{B}}{\partial{z}} ##, (instead of ## m ##), but that is clearly a "typo"). Your last equation needs to read ## \frac{d^2 z}{dt^2} ##, and please check your algebra on this. I believe you left off the ## \pi ##,(which should actually be ## \pi^2 ##), and you have an extra ## \mu ##. ## \\ ## Note: ## \sin(\frac{z \pi}{2 L})=\frac{z \pi}{2 L } ## for small angles. ## \\ ## Editing: Did they give you any initial conditions?=initial position and velocity? Otherwise, I guess you assume ## z=0 ## and ## v_z=0 ## at time ## t=0 ##. These initial conditions, though, would lead to the trivial solution ## z=0 ## for all ## t ## if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  4. Aug 7, 2017 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it is not. You dropped some factors, and your DE should be for ##d^2 z/dt^2##, not ##d^2 v_z / dt^2##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted