Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small but powerful magnet?

1. Feb 19, 2007 #1
    Does anyone know if its commericially possible to get a 1-2T electromagnet (no superconductors) but one thats very small i.e. no wider than 2 cm and no taller than 1 cm (with the field in z)?

It seems doubtful but I'm not sure where to look, google isn't helping much.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2007 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi beer. I'm pretty much a dummy when it comes to magnetic fields, but what I do know is that MRI magnets run between 1 and 3 Tesla. The coils are about 3 feet in diameter and about 4 feet long, consisting of superconducting windings such that the thickness of all these windings is on the order of 2 to 6 inches. They then run a few hundreds of amps through these windings which are immersed in liquid helium to make them superconducting. That's a lot of mass and energy to produce 1 to 3 T, so to suggest you might get 1 or 2 T out of something as small as you're suggesting seems totally unreasonable.

4. Feb 19, 2007 #3

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No chance. A rare-earth permanent magnet of that size, however, would have about 1T right at the pole face. The field would fall off rapidly with distance.

5. Feb 20, 2007 #4
    Yeah I guessed it would be impossible, just needed to know for sure.

I looked into Nd magnets, but the small ones I found were over 1T but only in circuit. In practise they were more like 0.2 T. Don't suppose anyone knows of ones stronger?

I doubt piling them on top of each other would work? ^_-

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?