Small butane torch colouration

• Thread starter yourdadonapogostick
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's new butane torch and how they melted a penny with it. They noticed that the coating on the penny vaporized and the inside melted. When they tried to melt a dime, it did not fully melt but changed colors in every part except where the flame touched it. The speaker believes this is called the "hazing effect" and is caused by the metals reacting with oxygen in the air. They also discussed the melting points of different metals and how the composition of a dime may affect its melting point. The discolouration seen may be due to exciting the electrons in the metal causing them to emit energy in the form of light with different wavelengths.
yourdadonapogostick
i got my new toy today(bought it on ebay sunday). it is a small butane torch.
i melted a penny with it. the coating completely vaporized and the inside(zinc?) melted and such. when i tried to melt a dime, however, it didn't melt. every part of the dime, except where the flame actually touched it, changed colours(multiple times). what causes the discolouration?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think that disscoloration is called the hazing effect of something like that, when metals heat and change colors. It might have something to do with the metals reacting with the oxygen in the air.

I believe the current composition of a dime is now a 75-25 alloy of nickle and copper. When you make an alloy with different metals, it does some strange things with the metling points, sometimes lowering it, sometimes raising it.
But if you just look at each metals individual melting point,
Copper:1981 F, 1083 C
Nickle: 2651 F, 1455 C
Each one is pretty high, so that might explain why it is so hard to melt.
A pennty however is just copper coated zinc, and zinc's melting point is only 787 degrees F, so it is much easier to melt than a dime.

I would also guess that by heating it with an intense flame you are exciting the electrons in the metal causing them to reach a higher state of energy. when the electrons go back to their ground state they emit energy in the form of light (w/ different wavelengths i.e colors).

1. What causes the colouration on a small butane torch?

The colouration on a small butane torch is caused by the combustion of the butane gas. When the butane gas is ignited, it reacts with oxygen to produce a flame, which emits different colors depending on the temperature and the chemical composition of the fuel.

2. Is the colouration on a small butane torch harmful?

No, the colouration on a small butane torch is not harmful. It is a natural byproduct of the combustion process and does not pose any health risks.

3. Can the colouration on a small butane torch be controlled?

Yes, the colouration on a small butane torch can be controlled to some extent. By adjusting the amount of butane and oxygen in the fuel mixture, you can change the color and intensity of the flame. However, it is not recommended to tamper with the fuel mixture as it can be dangerous.

4. What do the different colours on a small butane torch indicate?

The different colors on a small butane torch indicate the temperature of the flame. A blue flame indicates a high temperature, while a yellow or orange flame indicates a lower temperature. Other colors, such as green or purple, may indicate the presence of certain chemicals in the fuel.

5. How can the colouration on a small butane torch be removed?

The colouration on a small butane torch can be removed by cleaning the torch with a damp cloth or using a specialized cleaner. It is important to let the torch cool down completely before attempting to clean it, and to follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning and maintenance.