Solve for x and y: Calculating Equations with Unknown Variables

• Thread starter rabihtawil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a system of linear equations in two variables, with the solution being x = -3 and y = 3. The process involves using matrices and an augmented matrix to represent the equations. The person asking for help initially struggled with solving the equations but eventually figured it out.
rabihtawil

Homework Statement

i have the answer for this i just don't know how it happened
Issue1:
2x+y+3=0
x= -3

Issue2:
x+2y-3=0
y=3

Homework Equations

How did they come up with this solution?

The Attempt at a Solution

I reread it & try to solve it no luck :(

Physics news on Phys.org
oh never mind i figured it out, it's a system of linear equation

2 1 3
1 2 -3

solve the system the above results will come up. thank you forum

You know how to solve matrices but not a system of 2 linear equations in 2 variables?
You have essentially started with the harder stuff and skipped the easier ones :bugeye:

My math skills are bad, I'm just working hard to pass these classes because I'm a computer science student. i finished all my major except 3 math courses which i am having the worst experience of my life in.

rabihtawil said:
oh never mind i figured it out, it's a system of linear equation

2 1 3
1 2 -3

solve the system the above results will come up. thank you forum
If you're working with an augment matix, it should be
Code:
[2 1 | -3]
[1 2 | 3]

The rows in this matrix come from these equations:
2x + y = -3
x + 2y = 3

1. What is a small calculation?

A small calculation is a mathematical problem or equation that involves a relatively small number of values or variables. These calculations can be simple or complex and are often used to solve real-world problems in various fields such as science, finance, and engineering.

2. Why is it important to have tools for small calculations?

Having tools for small calculations, such as calculators or software programs, can save time and reduce the chances of making errors. It also allows for more complex calculations to be performed quickly and accurately, which can be especially useful in scientific research or data analysis.

3. How can I improve my small calculation skills?

One way to improve small calculation skills is to practice regularly, using different types of problems and methods. It can also be helpful to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind the calculations, rather than just memorizing formulas.

4. What are some common mistakes people make when doing small calculations?

Some common mistakes people make when doing small calculations include using the wrong formula or method, forgetting to carry over numbers in multi-step calculations, and making simple arithmetic errors. It is important to double-check your work and use multiple strategies to ensure accuracy.

5. Can small calculations be used in scientific research?

Yes, small calculations are often used in scientific research to analyze data, make predictions, and test hypotheses. They can also be used to convert units, perform statistical analyses, and solve equations related to various scientific phenomena.